Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What instruments do you play?

1. Keyboards / Piano

34.8%
  2. Drums / Percussion

17.4%
  3. Horn / Brass

8.7%
  4. Guitar

60.9%
  5. Violin / strings

17.4%
  6. Woodwinds

8.7%
  7. None

13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    I'm just curious; this forum is full of people who excel at creativity thinking, something essential for music and art.

I play the keyboard and an electric guitar, but I'm not practiced in either, I just dabble.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Where's the option for none? I tried piano, but it amounted to nothing. I suppose that music is just that area where I shall never develop. :biggrin:

4. Mar 29, 2016 #3
    Added a none option, I meant to but forgot originally.

5. Mar 29, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Phew! Okay, thanks. For a moment I thought that there was no none option because every one plays an instrument and I was the lone one who didn't :smile:

6. Mar 29, 2016 #5
    I play guitar, build my guitar tube amps. Love it. Guitar isn't my very best skill... but I love it.

7. Mar 29, 2016 #6
    We're on the same boat :-) tried piano and recorder but I don't have neither talent nor patience and will to practice :-/

8. Mar 29, 2016 #7
  9. Mar 29, 2016 #8
    My first go around in high school, I bought an electric guitar, cheap amp, and a Van Halen tab book and basically dropped out. I've since returned and am just about finished, and was accepted to university. But I still noodle around when I can. Personally I wish I started learning piano at a young age.

10. Mar 29, 2016 #9
    Electric bass expertly, sing passably, keyboards incompetently, and dabbling in the flute. I compose and write lyrics too, though seldom.

11. Mar 30, 2016 #10

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Depends what you mean by "play". On violin, viola and piano I'm up to playing major concertos, although I mostly only play them for rehearsal purposes with local orchestras to help them prepare before the "real" soloist comes for the last couple of rehearsals (which means I don't have to learn every detail unless I really want to). I also play other keyboards of course, including harpsichord and celesta, plus digital equivalents. In the past, I've played cello or flute in various ensembles. At school, I played tenor viol in a viol consort. As a student 40 years ago, I could play guitar accompaniments to just about anything by ear. I won a couple of prizes at age 11 for composing a very short and boring work for symphony orchestra. I've conducted a few string orchestra concerts and some full symphony orchestra rehearsals (including Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6 and Shostakovich Symphony No 5 - wow!) but not yet a full symphony orchestra concert.

I can play simple tunes on almost anything from a bicycle pump to my front teeth, and I can hum in three-part harmony with myself, by whistling and humming at the same time, choosing an interval such that the difference harmonic sounds as if I'm whistling another note, making a nice chord (well, for some definition of "nice").

And if pushed, I can demonstrate whistling "Rule Britannia" and humming "God Save the Queen" simultaneously. That usually clears the area quite effectively.

12. Mar 30, 2016 #11
    Had life gone differently, i would have been a professional drummer. Unfortunately, I became a chemist instead. However, in my best Chico Escuela, "Plastics be vedy, vedy, good to me."

13. Mar 30, 2016 #12

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Um, how is that unfortunate?? That's 6.02 x 1023 times more interesting than being a drummer! :smile:

14. Mar 30, 2016 #13
    If you have a really lax definition of play... I've written a suite of functions that allows me to manipulate the expressive parameters and both free and time invariant rubato of midi streams (not in real time) which I use to realize my compositions.

15. Mar 30, 2016 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Joe Morello would disagree w/ you.

16. Mar 30, 2016 #15

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I could say that for a lot of things.

(BTW, I had to look up who Joe Morello was)

17. Mar 30, 2016 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm sure he was way before your time but he was terrific.

18. Mar 30, 2016 #17

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I could say that for a lot of things, too!

(but okay, you're right: I'm too young. And this is subjective ground, anyway)

19. Mar 30, 2016 #18
    Good response Quarky. :cool: Only unfortunately because drums is my first love and passion. And there are way more drummer groupies than Chemistry groupies. :biggrin:
    I still play but now I just try to expand my musical horizons with clave in 4/4 and 6/8. The 6/8 clave is a nutcracker!

20. Mar 30, 2016 #19
    Joe was among the many other jazz greats; Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, etc. Today I like Virgil Donati, Danny Carey, Dave Weckl, Mike Portnoy, and Horacio Hernandez. I forget his name but the drummer from Tribal Tech is awesome too. There are many others of course, but you can't name them all.

21. Mar 30, 2016 #20
    Senri Kawaguchi
    and Dennis Chambers rool the traps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted