1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What integration technique?

  1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    Which integration technique should I use for something similar to:

    (1 + x^2)^(1/2) dx
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2


    User Avatar

    Trig substitution, I'd say.
  4. Oct 18, 2007 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    No. All of the "trig substutions" are based on sin^2+ cos^2= 1 and so involve either "1-" or "-1".

    Oh, now that was a silly thing for me to say! sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1 so, dividing through by cos^2(x), we have
    tan^2(x)+ 1= sec^2(x), just as Sleek suggested. (I am delighted that, while pointing out that I was completely wrong, he referred to an earlier post of mine!)

    Looks to me like a hyperbolic substition should work. Since cosh^2(y)- sinh^2(y)= 1, cosh^2(y)= 1+ sinh^2(y). Let x= sinh(y).
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  5. Oct 18, 2007 #4
    Even x=tan(m) would work. One would end up with int([sec(m)]^3) dm. This can be integrated using Int By Parts by differentiating sec(x) and integrating sec^2(x). Also, it can be integrated by method HallsofIvy suggested here: https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-156162.html.

  6. Oct 20, 2007 #5

    Gib Z

    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    The only down side is that sec^3 is usually quite a labororus integral to calculate :( Hall's hperbolic suggestion is the quickest.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Similar Discussions: What integration technique?
  1. Integration Technique (Replies: 12)

  2. Integration Technique (Replies: 2)