Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is 0/0

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1

madmike159

Gold Member

What is 0/0.
    Any thing devided by 0 is infinity, 0 devided by something is 0 and anything devided by its self is 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2008 #2
    Re: 0/0

No, division by zero is undefined. If you want this thread to accomplish anything then you should do it soon before a moderator closes it.

4. Jul 8, 2008 #3

madmike159

Gold Member

I started thinking aabout it when I was looking at a physics equation.

m = m0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
    *sorry the equation options arn't working for me*

If a particle with no mass like a photon which moves at the speed of light then its mass at rest (0) is devided by 1 - c^2/c^2 = 0. I just wondered what 0/0 was, I know that this equation has no real proof.

5. Jul 8, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation is only valid for massive particles, and they move slower than the speed of light, so you never attempt to 'divide zero by zero'.

There are many occasions where, if on substituted values of variables in, one would end up with 0/0. This really means you just need to be careful. There may be a removable singularity (eg sin(x)/x at x=0), a singularity like 1/x or 1/x^x at 0, or an essential singularity (such as log(z) at 0), when viewed as a function from C to the extended complex plane. The nature of the singularity may tell you something useful.

6. Jul 9, 2008 #5

madmike159

Gold Member

yea I know, it just made me think about it.

7. Jul 9, 2008 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I meant to write 1/x^2, not 1/x^x, which is almost surely an essential singularity.

8. Jul 9, 2008 #7

0/0 is truly undefined in its nature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?