What is 2nd Sine? Solving a Triangle with 13.5 Hypotenuse

In summary, to find the measure of angle P in a triangle with a hypotenuse of 13.5 and a height of 11.8, we can use the sine function. The textbook answer of 71.468 is actually a typo, and the correct answer can be found by using the inverse sine function, which can be accessed on some calculators by pressing the "2nd" or "shift" button followed by the sine button.
Liam C

Homework Statement

A triangle with a hypotenuse of 13.5 and height of 11.8. Find the measure of angle P.
Angle p is on the same line as the 90 degree angle and I found out that it must be sine.

Homework Equations

sine = opposite/hypotenuse

The Attempt at a Solution

sin p = 11.8/13.5
sin p = .874

Textbooks answer: sin p = 71.468
It says I need to use something called 2nd sine like this: 2nd sin(11.8/13.5), which I can't find on my calculator and hasn't been introduced in the textbook until now. It doesn't explain 2nd sin. What does it mean and how do I go about solving this on my own?

Attachments

• ok.png
    ok.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
It would appear "2nd" is supposed to be an inverse function: You're finding the angle whose sine is 11.8/13.5. That is often written as ## \sin^{-1}(11.8/13.5) ##. The "2nd" is apparently referring to a "second" (inverse) function.

Liam C said:
That looks more like the angle p. Try looking for arcsin on your calculator to go from the sine value to the angle...

EDIT -- Beaten to the punch by Charles :smile:

Liam C said:
BTW, I get a slightly different answer for the angle. I'll check the rest of your work (unless Charles beats me to that too!).

Liam C said:
Angle p is on the same line as the 90 degree angle and I found out that it must be sine.
Are you sure you have the angle p shown in the right place?

berkeman said:
Yes.

berkeman said:
Also I tried using the inverse sine and it didn't give me the correct answer. It gives me 60.9

Liam C said:
Yes.
So what do you get for arcsin(11.8/13.5 )

EDIT -- Right, that's what I got.

berkeman said:
So what do you get for arcsin(11.8/13.5 )

EDIT -- Right, that's what I got.
I don't know how to do that, unfortunately.

Liam C said:
I don't know how to do that, unfortunately.
arcsine is the same as inverse sine.

Liam C said:
hypotenuse of 13.5 and height of 11.8.
Maybe double-check those numbers -- maybe there is a typo digit in there somewhere that is giving us the wrong answer...

berkeman said:
Maybe double-check those numbers -- maybe there is a typo digit in there somewhere that is giving us the wrong answer...
Unfortunately no :(
I am starting to think there might be a typo in the textbook given the fact what it's telling me to do gives me a completely wrong answer

Liam C said:

The Attempt at a Solution

sin p = 11.8/13.5
sin p = .874

arcsin(12.8/13.5) = 71.468. That looks to be the typo.:smile:

Likes Liam C
berkeman said:
arcsin(12.8/13.5) = 71.468. That looks to be the typo.:smile:
Ah, thanks so much! A silly textbook typo had me so confused! :smile:

Liam C said:
It says I need to use something called 2nd sine like this: 2nd sin(11.8/13.5),
Some calculators have a button labeled "2nd". When you press it, the calculator uses the function behind (or above) a given button.

On my calculator, a CASIO model, there is a button labeled SHIFT, in orange letters. Just above my button labeled "sin" is label, in orange letters, for the inverse function "sin-1". There are inverse functions for sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as log, ln (natural log) and a few others. All of the inverse functions are accessed by pressing the SHIFT button. On yours I'd be willing to bet there's a "2nd" button.

Likes Liam C and berkeman
Mark44 said:
Some calculators have a button labeled "2nd". When you press it, the calculator uses the function behind (or above) a given button.

On my calculator, a CASIO model, there is a button labeled SHIFT, in orange letters. Just above my button labeled "sin" is label, in orange letters, for the inverse function "sin-1". There are inverse functions for sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as log, ln (natural log) and a few others. All of the inverse functions are accessed by pressing the SHIFT button. On yours I'd be willing to bet there's a "2nd" button.
Yes, shift did it :)

1. What is the 2nd sine function?

The 2nd sine function, also known as the inverse sine function, is the inverse of the sine function. It is denoted as sin-1 or arcsin and is used to find the angle in a right triangle when the length of the opposite side and the length of the hypotenuse are known.

2. How is the 2nd sine function used to solve a triangle with a 13.5 hypotenuse?

The 2nd sine function can be used to solve a triangle with a 13.5 hypotenuse by first finding the angle opposite the 13.5 side using the inverse sine function. Once the angle is known, the remaining side lengths can be found using the sine, cosine, or tangent function.

3. What is the significance of 13.5 in solving a triangle using the 2nd sine function?

In solving a triangle using the 2nd sine function, 13.5 is the length of the hypotenuse. This length is important because it is one of the known side lengths that is needed to apply the inverse sine function and find the missing angle in the triangle.

4. Can the 2nd sine function be used to solve any triangle?

No, the 2nd sine function can only be used to solve right triangles. It is specifically used to find the missing angle in a right triangle when the length of the opposite side and the length of the hypotenuse are known.

5. What other trigonometric functions can be used to solve a triangle with a 13.5 hypotenuse?

In addition to the 2nd sine function, the sine, cosine, and tangent functions can also be used to solve a triangle with a 13.5 hypotenuse. These functions are used to find the remaining side lengths and angles in the triangle.