Exploring 3-Digit Floating Point Arithmetic: What is it and How Does it Work?

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, 3 (or i, where i=1,2,3,4...∞) digit arithmetic refers to performing calculations with numbers that are restricted to three digits, either from the outset or by rounding. This is often done in the context of floating point arithmetic, where numbers are represented by a 3-digit mantissa and an exponent. However, without further clarification, it is difficult to determine the exact meaning or context of this expression.
brandy
what is 3(or i, where i=1,2,3,4...∞) digit arithmetic? is it just working with 3 decimals or 3 significant figures? or is it base 3 arithmetic?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
brandy said:
what is 3(or i, where i=1,2,3,4...∞) digit arithmetic? is it just working with 3 decimals or 3 significant figures? or is it base 3 arithmetic?

Context?

The expression could mean anything.

But if I heard someone say they could do 3 digit arithmetic, I would assume they could add subtract and multiply 3-digit numbers (100-999).

the context was talking about floating point numbers and catastrophic cancellation in the quadratic equation.

it said using 3 digit arithmetic:
*subs in some numbers, 0.2, 100.9 etc into the quad equation and at the end rounds the entire number to 3 digits*

am i right in assuming that all the numbers used to input had to be 3 decimals and then the final number had to be 3 digits?
or does every number in the process have to be rounded to 3 decimals as the number is created? step by step?

Of course, any decent calculator or computer will carry 12 or more digits for its calculations. But just to give a simple example, that a human could calculate easily, of how cancellation happens, they are restricting to three digits. I don't see any difference between using three digits from the outset and rounding to three digits.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see any difference between using three digits from the outset and rounding to three digits.
What? Of course there's a difference.

Since the context is floating point arithmetic, my guess at what you're asking is that numbers are represented by a 3-digit mantissa and an exponent.

Using the numbers you gave as examples, 0.2 would be 2.00 x 10-1 and 100.9 would be 1.01 x 102.

If you want a better answer, you'll need to ask a question that is clearer.

1. What is 3 digit arithmetic?

3 digit arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with numbers containing three digits, typically ranging from 100 to 999. It involves performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on these numbers.

2. How is 3 digit arithmetic different from regular arithmetic?

3 digit arithmetic involves working with numbers that have three digits, while regular arithmetic deals with numbers of any size. In 3 digit arithmetic, there are specific rules for carrying and borrowing when performing operations on numbers with multiple digits.

3. What are some examples of 3 digit arithmetic?

Examples of 3 digit arithmetic include adding 356 and 245, subtracting 573 from 821, multiplying 432 and 126, and dividing 789 by 234. These operations follow the same rules as regular arithmetic, but with numbers containing three digits.

4. What is the purpose of learning 3 digit arithmetic?

Learning 3 digit arithmetic helps develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also lays the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and prepares students for real-life situations that require working with numbers.

5. How can I improve my skills in 3 digit arithmetic?

Practice is key to improving your skills in 3 digit arithmetic. You can also try breaking down larger numbers into smaller ones, using manipulatives or visual aids, and learning different strategies for solving problems. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.