Is Time an Illusion? Exploring the Concept of a Block Universe at 13 Years Old

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time in relation to special relativity and the "block universe" interpretation. The speaker expresses skepticism towards the idea of a block universe and shares their own perspective on time being relative to the observer. Feedback is also requested.
Canutej24
I'm 13, so I was reading Discover and I read something about a "block universe" and I thought it was a bunch of hogwash... here is how I see it... Time is the same for everybody its just how people perceive it that makes people think its an illusion... any feedback? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Canutej24 said:
Time is the same for everybody
Time is most certainly NOT the same for everyone. It's relative to the observer - it's all derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity.
It's basically based on the fact that the speed of light is the same for everyone in a vacuum, and since speed is dependent on distance and time, distance and time must be different for different observers to ensure light moves with the same speed relative to everyone.

Canutej24 said:
I read something about a "block universe"

The "block universe" is an interpretation of special relativity; it is not the same as SR itself. The "block universe" can be false without making SR itself (including the relativity of time) false.

Canutej24 said:
I'm 13, so I was reading Discover and I read something about a "block universe" and I thought it was a bunch of hogwash... here is how I see it... Time is the same for everybody its just how people perceive it that makes people think its an illusion... any feedback? Thanks!
The block universe just refers to 4 dimensional spacetime. If you try to draw it you will notice your piece of paper has too few dimensions. So, drop one spatial dimension and draw a 2D plane for space. Draw time as the 3rd dimension using perspective and there you have it, the universe represented as a block.

This is the same reason light cones are called cones when they are really hyperspheres.

Dear spacejunkie,
thank u for the feedback... it helps a lot

1. What is a block universe?

A block universe is a concept in physics and philosophy that views the entire history of the universe as a static, four-dimensional "block" of space-time. This means that past, present, and future events are all equally real and exist simultaneously.

2. How does the block universe theory differ from other theories of time?

The block universe theory differs from other theories of time, such as the presentism theory, which states that only the present moment is real, and the growing block theory, which states that the past and present are real, but the future is not. The block universe theory asserts that all moments in time are equally real and exist simultaneously, rather than being constantly created or changing.

3. What evidence supports the concept of a block universe?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the block universe theory is the theory of relativity. According to this theory, time is relative to an observer's perspective and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This suggests that the concept of a fixed and linear passage of time may not be accurate.

4. What are the implications of the block universe theory?

The block universe theory has significant implications for our understanding of free will and determinism. If all moments in time already exist, then it could be argued that our actions and choices are predetermined and that free will is an illusion. Additionally, the concept of a block universe challenges our traditional understanding of causality, as all events are equally real and their causes and effects may not be as clear cut as previously thought.

5. Is the block universe theory widely accepted by scientists?

The block universe theory is a subject of ongoing debate and is not universally accepted by scientists. While many physicists and philosophers support the concept, others argue that it is purely speculative and cannot be proven or disproven. The lack of empirical evidence for the block universe makes it difficult for it to be considered a scientific fact, but it remains a popular and intriguing subject for further exploration and discussion.