Boxcar Average: A Simple and Lousy Filtering Mechanism?

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, a "Boxcar Average" is a mathematical function used in some programming languages and as a setting on a lock-in amplifier. It takes a 1D array of data and averages the last n data points, which can help to smooth out any unusual data values. However, it is considered a simple and not very effective filtering mechanism.
flatmaster
What is a "Boxcar Average"?

Hi, I'm Brand new to the Forums. I'm not sure this is the right forum. This may belong more under "experimental techniques" What is a "Boxcar Average"? I've seen it as both a mathematical function in some languages, and as a setting on my lock-in Amplifier. I think it may automatically throw out data points that are extremely far from your other data values.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Think I figured it out. It takes a 1D array of data and averages the last n data points to level out any weird data. Is this right?

Yes. It's a rather simple and rather lousy filtering mechanism.

What is a Boxcar Average?

A Boxcar Average, also known as a moving average, is a method of smoothing out a data set by calculating the average of a certain number of adjacent data points.

How is a Boxcar Average calculated?

A Boxcar Average is calculated by adding up a certain number of data points and dividing by the total number of data points. For example, a 3-point Boxcar Average would add up the first three data points and divide by 3, then move to the next three data points and repeat the process.

What is the purpose of using a Boxcar Average?

The purpose of a Boxcar Average is to reduce the impact of random fluctuations or noise in a data set, making it easier to identify trends or patterns. It can also help to smooth out irregularities in data caused by missing or erroneous data points.

How is a Boxcar Average different from other types of averages?

A Boxcar Average differs from other types of averages, such as the mean or median, because it takes into account a specific number of adjacent data points rather than the entire data set. This allows for a more localized and smooth representation of the data.

Are there any limitations to using a Boxcar Average?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Boxcar Average. It may not accurately represent the true trend in the data if there are significant outliers or sudden changes in the data. Additionally, the choice of the number of data points to include in the average can greatly impact the results.