What is a clinical ventilator?

In summary, the doctor is discussing the problems that improper use of a ventilator can cause. The main issues are over-inflating or over-pressurizing the patient, which can lead to gastric insufflation, lung injury from over-stretching (called volutrauma), and lung injury from over-pressurization (called barotrauma). The doctor recommends that before intubation, some home CPAP machines can be used as ventilation aids. Another topic discussed was the virus and how it compromises normal functioning of the lungs and heart, leading to opportunistic bacterial infections. In addition, the doctor notes that being on a ventilator affects a patient's lucidity. Patients may be half-
Lnewqban
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My apologies if already posted here or somewhere else.

These articles are about what a clinical ventilator is, what problems improper use can cause and what parts are some people creating by 3-D printing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventilator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_valve_mask

https://www.fastcompany.com/9047794...ives-by-making-new-respirator-valves-for-free

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/12/ult...-design-and-deploy-an-open-source-ventilator/

:frown:

Likes atyy and hutchphd
Biology news on Phys.org
Lnewqban said:
what problems improper use can cause
What do you think the main problems might be?

I think everyone is thinking about ways that we can slightly forestall this impending human tragedy in the USA . One thought I had was whether some of the home CPAP machines could be used as ventilation aids prior to possible intubation with the associated risks. There must be several million of these extant in the US I note that the typical overpressure are measured in inches of H2O and so are very small indeed. I know that only a few feet of surfacing with a full lung can get a scuba diver into trouble ( embolus or otherwise).
Is there any utility for CPAP in this present potential shortfall? Is there something short term to be done?. I feel woefully ignorant here.

berkeman said:
What do you think the main problems might be?
I just started exploring this subject.
The second link shows that accidental excess of pressure can do a lot of damage to the lung tissue, reason for which modern machines must have sophisticate systems of monitoring and control, not only of supply pressure, but humidity, volume, percentage of mixed oxygen, etc.

"Under normal breathing, the lungs inflate under a slight vacuum when the chest wall muscles and diaphragm expand; this "pulls" the lungs open, causing air to enter the lungs to inflate under a gentle vacuum. However, when using a manual resuscitator, as with other methods of positive-pressure ventilation, the lungs are force-inflated with pressurized air or oxygen. This inherently leads to risk of various complications, many of which depend on whether the manual resuscitator is being used with a face mask or ET tube. Complications are related to over-inflating or over-pressurizing the patient, which can cause: (1) air to inflate the stomach (called gastric insufflation); (2) lung injury from over-stretching (called volutrauma); and/or (3) lung injury from over-pressurization (called barotrauma)."

From a conversation with a doctor, I have learned that the virus compromises normal functioning of lungs and heart, leading to opportunistic bacterial infections.
When the patient has difficulty breathing by his/her own muscular action, and/or when the surface of blood-air exchage is severely reduced, an external mask is not enough to induce positive ventilation (mixed with oxygen) and that an ET tube is frequently used.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and hutchphd
Here's another ignorant question: do any of the techniques use "snorkle" mouthpiece (with maybe nose clip) instead of facemask?. It would seem to require less manual intervention and supervision.

Ventilated patients require lots of intervention and monitoring - why you "see" and hear the audible beep-beep.

jim mcnamara said:
Ventilated patients require lots of intervention and monitoring - why you "see" and hear the audible beep-beep.

Also, patients continuously on ventillators must be fed through tubes. They can't drink water so they usually get fluid through an IV.

It isn't clear to me how being on ventillator affects a patients lucidity. I suppose many ventillator patients are not lucid due to disease. However, I think most ventillator patients are also given tranquilizers and pain killers. A half awake patient may attempt to tear the mask and tubes away. In the USA, physically restraining a patient's arms to prevent this is a big bureaucratic deal, so drugs are the first resort.

Likes Lnewqban
My thought was trying to use some level of breathing assistance intermediate between intubation (which has a host of issues) and facemask (which requires constant monitoring if not direct manual application for efficacy). Hence the idea of a scuba/snorkel mouthpiece. Does any system use this?

This intervention hopefully could take place before the onset of respiratory collapse so the patient might still be cognizant enough to respond appropriately. I have done a lot of medical R&D but very little clinical so this may be foolishness.

With regard to regs...these are not quite desperate times. A luxury that hopefully we can and will continue.

Likes Lnewqban
jim mcnamara said:
I thought this YouTube video may be useful.

Likes Lnewqban and BillTre

What is a clinical ventilator?

A clinical ventilator is a medical device that helps a patient breathe by delivering oxygen to the lungs and removing carbon dioxide from the body. It is commonly used in hospitals for patients who are unable to breathe on their own due to respiratory failure or other medical conditions.

How does a clinical ventilator work?

A clinical ventilator works by delivering a mixture of air and oxygen to the patient through a tube that is inserted into the airway. This creates pressure in the lungs, which helps the patient breathe. The ventilator also has sensors that monitor the patient's breathing and adjust the settings accordingly.

What types of patients require a clinical ventilator?

Clinical ventilators are commonly used for patients who have respiratory failure, such as those with severe pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). They may also be used for patients undergoing surgery or those with neuromuscular disorders that affect their ability to breathe.

What are the risks associated with using a clinical ventilator?

While clinical ventilators can be life-saving for patients with respiratory failure, there are some risks associated with their use. These include infections, lung damage, and side effects from the medications used to sedate the patient. Patients may also experience discomfort from the tube inserted into their airway.

How long can a patient be on a clinical ventilator?

The length of time a patient needs to be on a clinical ventilator varies depending on their condition. Some patients may only need it for a few days, while others may require it for weeks or even months. The goal is to wean the patient off the ventilator as soon as they are able to breathe on their own again.