What is a Constant? Explained in Simple Terms

• Thread starter rishch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, a constant is a fixed value that does not change and is used to describe the behavior of a system in math and physics. It can be a number or a quantity that remains the same in a specific situation.
rishch
Could someone please explain the concept of a constant in simple terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a number that simply does not change and has a set, defined value. Pi, i (squareroot of -1) and e (Euler's number) are all examples of constants.

It's also a "fudge factor" so that our equations work out. For example, we all know E = mc2, but many physicists set c = 1 so that E = m and the fudge factor disappears. I've often wondered if it was possible to develop a mathematical/physical system where all of the fudge factors for the fundamental constants of the universe could be eliminated, but my mathematical expertise is nowhere near that sophisticated.

It depends on the context. The word "constant" have connected but different meanings in maths and in physics. As you're posting in the physics forum, I guess you're more interested with the physics notion. In a physical theory a constant is a quantity used to describe the behaviour of a system (together with plenty of other quantities) but that does not depend on which system is studied, what are its environement, the interval of time considered or the position in space of the system. So its value can be given (whithin a given system of units) independently of any experience.

By a constant i was referring to this type of constant-

F is proportional to m
F is proportional to a

Therefore F=kma
where k is the constant of proportionality

In this case "k is a constant" means that k is a number, whose value does not depend on the mass, acceleration, force or any other physical properties of the system. I.e. whatever you apply it to, "k" will have the same value always (if you found it to be 2 by some experiment, for example, you could write F = 2ma).

Note that another "kind" of constant is for example where we take F = ma, and I say "a car is moving along a road with constant acceleration". In that case, I mean that a has some specific value which will not change in this specific situation that I am considering - obviously I don't mean that the car can never have another acceleration, nor that all the other objects in the universe must have the same value of a.

1. What is a constant?

A constant is a value that remains the same throughout an experiment or a mathematical equation. It does not change, hence the name "constant."

2. How is a constant different from a variable?

A variable is a value that can change in an experiment or a mathematical equation, while a constant remains the same. Variables are typically represented by letters, while constants are usually represented by specific values.

3. Can you give an example of a constant?

One example of a constant is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This value remains the same in all experiments and equations involving light.

4. Why are constants important in science and math?

Constants are important because they provide a reference point for comparison in experiments and equations. They help scientists and mathematicians make accurate predictions and conclusions based on reliable data.

5. Are there different types of constants?

Yes, there are different types of constants. Some common types include physical constants (such as the speed of light), mathematical constants (such as pi), and universal constants (such as the gravitational constant). Each type of constant serves a specific purpose in different fields of science and math.