What is a Dataport in a Hotel Room?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, a "dataport" is an ethernet jack, usually found in hotel rooms, which allows for high speed internet access.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
What is a "dataport"

When i look at hotel listings... i always see this feature of a room called "dataports". What exactly does that mean? What is a dataport when it comes to a hotel room?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only for cyborgs and treky crew

An ethernet jack, usually.

- Warren

for high speed internet? :O

The ethernet jacks are starting to go away - most decent hotels have wireless access now (though some have both).

ahem

for high speed internet? :O

When i look at hotel listings... i always see this feature of a room called "dataports". What exactly does that mean? What is a dataport when it comes to a hotel room?
I think it means you can have internet in your room?

A few years ago all it meant was that the phone in the room had a second phone jack that you could plug your modem into. Now it means that as well has the possibility of the room having an Ethernet cable to plug into your computer.

imabug said:
A few years ago all it meant was that the phone in the room had a second phone jack that you could plug your modem into. Now it means that as well has the possibility of the room having an Ethernet cable to plug into your computer.
Correct.

Yes Pengwuino for internet access. You just plugged your regular phone cord from your laptop into the extra jack on the phone and then you could dial into your ISP (dialup access). Now it can mean anything.

Evo said:
Now it can mean anything.
Yeah. You can usually find details somewhere else if they have hi-speed access or wireless, or just call the hotel and ask if you need it. Depending on my reasons for traveling, sometimes I do ask (i.e., business travel and I'm working from the road), and others I pay attention to different hotel amenities and take my chances on internet. The hotel I'm in right now has a choice of wireless or ethernet access, which will probably get phased out when everyone has a wireless card in their laptops.

1. What exactly is a Dataport in a Hotel Room?

A Dataport is a small outlet or connection point found in many hotel rooms that allows guests to connect their devices, such as laptops, tablets, or smartphones, to the hotel's internet or phone system.

2. Can I use the Dataport to charge my devices?

No, a Dataport is not designed for charging devices. It is meant for data transfer and accessing the hotel's internet or phone system.

3. Do all hotel rooms have Dataports?

No, not all hotel rooms have Dataports. It depends on the hotel's amenities and the age of the building. Some newer hotels may have replaced Dataports with more modern technology, while older hotels may not have had Dataports installed in the first place.

4. Are there any security concerns with using a Dataport?

Dataports are generally considered safe to use, but it is always a good idea to take precautions when using them. Make sure to use reputable websites and avoid entering sensitive information, such as credit card numbers, while connected to the hotel's internet.

5. Can I use the Dataport for international calls?

It depends on the hotel's phone system. Some hotels may have Dataports that allow for international calls, while others may not. It is best to check with the hotel beforehand to see if this is a feature they offer.