Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a family?

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    If your parents divorce, does that mean you have no family?
    To me, I always thought a family would be simply.. mom and dad.. with their kids living under one roof.. If that isn't there, then there is no family.

What is ur defintion of a family?

Just because you live with your dad.. and your mom still supports you in some way.. does that mean a family is still THERE? or is that term totally faulty. Perhaps this is subjective. What do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2
    In this situation it doesn't mean you have no family. Family is really about those people who support you unconditionally. It doesn't matter where they live, how/if they're related, etc. You're right it's a subjective definition. But the living situation isn't a critical element. Either way you would be living with people supporting you and have them on the outside, so the family is always there.
  4. Oct 23, 2004 #3
    The following definitions are from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=family

1 : a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head.
    2 a: a group of persons of common ancestry. b : a people or group of peoples regarded as deriving from a common stock
    3 a : a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation : FELLOWSHIP b : the staff of a high official (as the President)
    4 : a group of things related by common characteristics: as a : a closely related series of elements or chemical compounds b : a group of soils that have similar profiles and include one or more series c : a group of related languages descended from a single ancestral language
    5 a : the basic unit in society traditionally consisting of two parents rearing their own or adopted children; also : any of various social units differing from but regarded as equivalent to the traditional family <a single-parent family> b : spouse and children <want to spend more time with my family>
    6 a : a group of related plants or animals forming a category ranking above a genus and below an order and usually comprising several to many genera b in livestock breeding (1) : the descendants or line of a particular individual especially of some outstanding female (2) : an identifiable strain within a breed
    7 : a set of curves or surfaces whose equations differ only in parameters
    8 : a unit of a crime syndicate (as the Mafia) operating within a geographical area

In my opinion, a family is a group of people who support and take care of each other. A family is a group of people who are on the same boat. Therefore, if parents are divorced, they are still your family as long as they suppot you. In my opinion, close friends can also be my family...
  5. Oct 23, 2004 #4
    Depends on context.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?