Can a US Military Gas Mask Protect Against Biological Weapons?

• Thread starter oldunion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary: The masks are designed to stop you from inhaling fine particles of an alpha-emitter.How, rachmoninoff? How do they manage to filter particles smaller than oxygen molecules, which they must let in? You know what, never mind. You're talking about radioactive debris that emits alpha particles, not the particles themselves right?The masks are designed to stop you from inhaling fine particles of an alpha-emitter.How, rachmoninoff? How do they manage to filter particles smaller than oxygen molecules, which they must let in? You know what, never mind. You're talking about radioactive debris that emits alpha particles, not the particles themselves right? The masks are designed to
oldunion
Im curious if a us military issue gas mask would block radioactive particles from entering your body. Also what biological weapons would it protect you against, which would it not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Their pretty good for when you're sawing wood on the table saw or the mitre saw. Keeps the wood dust out of your lungs.

zoobyshoe said:
Their pretty good for when you're sawing wood on the table saw or the mitre saw. Keeps the wood dust out of your lungs.

heh, Korea II: The new dining room table

With no intention of being rude, could i get a serious answer please.

oldunion said:
Im curious if a us military issue gas mask would block radioactive particles from entering your body. Also what biological weapons would it protect you against, which would it not.

With the right cartridge they should offer you protection from most chemical and biological agents...Although I would not recommend you test them...

I suppose they would also prevent certain particles from being inhaled but beyond that I don't see how they could offer you any protection from radiation.

Townsend said:
I suppose they would also prevent certain particles from being inhaled but beyond that I don't see how they could offer you any protection from radiation.

They'd stop you from inhaling fine particles of an alpha-emitter.

How, rachmoninoff? How do they manage to filter particles smaller than oxygen molecules, which they must let in? You know what, never mind. You're talking about radioactive debris that emits alpha particles, not the particles themselves right?

I've been told that gas masks contain highly poreous filter material, traditionally carbon. This filters out micro particles and gasses of more complex structure. So radioactive particle are filtered out which remains behind in the container. It allows simple gasses to pass like air and also the highly poisonous carbon monoxide, therefore this type of protection mask is not suitable for fire fighters who have to deal with that.

Of course they will only protect you from inhalation hazards. In the case of exposure to radioactive materials, inhalation is not the only concern.

In order to be effective, a gas mask also has to be custom fit for the user to have a tight seal around your face, or else it will be useless (no facial hair allowed either).

Here's some info on the different types of filters used for different purposes.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/gas-mask2.htm

Make sure and get the blue filters. They're the bestest!

Sweet-n-sour!
:yuck: :tongue2:
. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
In order to be effective, a gas mask also has to be custom fit for the user to have a tight seal around your face, or else it will be useless (no facial hair allowed either).

Yeah, there is small medium and large...what size fits? :rofl:

Jeez seems kinda pointless. good for 5 hours, but if particles are concentrated maybe only ten minutes? what good is that going to do.

Andre said:
I've been told that gas masks contain highly poreous filter material, traditionally carbon. This filters out micro particles and gasses of more complex structure. So radioactive particle are filtered out which remains behind in the container. It allows simple gasses to pass like air and also the highly poisonous carbon monoxide, therefore this type of protection mask is not suitable for fire fighters who have to deal with that.

Hmm, that doesn't make any sense if true. Weren't gas masks originally designed to protect against chemical weapons used during WWI? One of those was simple chlorine, which is a molecule only slightly larger than oxygen.

loseyourname said:
How, rachmoninoff? How do they manage to filter particles smaller than oxygen molecules, which they must let in? You know what, never mind. You're talking about radioactive debris that emits alpha particles, not the particles themselves right?

That's what I meant, alpha-emitting dust particles, not the alphas themselves. AFAIK that's about the only real health thread of alpha emitters; they get inhaled and they ionize stuff internally.

While they are still issued for emergancy use I think, as far as I know they are generally used when infiltrating and using tear gas on a target. That and Cyber Goth Fashion statements...
http://www.nimueslatex.com/images/photos/Catsuits/Blue%20Catsuit%20&%20gas%20mask.JPG

Last edited:

1. What is a gas mask good for?

A gas mask is a protective device worn over the face to filter out harmful gases, chemicals, and particles from the air. It is used to protect the wearer from inhaling toxic substances and to provide a clean air supply in hazardous environments.

2. How does a gas mask work?

A gas mask works by using filters to remove harmful substances from the air. These filters can be made of activated charcoal, which absorbs chemicals, or a combination of materials that can trap particles. The mask also has a tight seal around the face to prevent any unfiltered air from entering.

3. Who uses gas masks?

Gas masks are commonly used by military personnel, emergency responders, and individuals working in hazardous occupations such as chemical or biological research. They are also used by civilians in situations of natural disasters or industrial accidents.

4. Do gas masks protect against all types of gases?

No, gas masks are designed to filter out specific types of gases depending on the type of filter used. Some masks may only protect against particulates, while others may be effective against chemical gases. It is important to use the appropriate mask for the specific type of gas present.

5. How long can a gas mask be used for?

The duration of use for a gas mask depends on the type of filter and the concentration of the hazardous substance. Some filters may need to be replaced after a single use, while others can be used for extended periods of time. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of the gas mask.