What is a good book to learn about elementary mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses suggestions for studying algebra, including videos at Khan Academy or mathispower4u.com, books such as "Practical Algebra: A Self-Teaching Guide" and HELM workbooks, and online resources like Wikipedia and the website mathsisfun.com. The conversation also mentions the book "Algebra I For Dummies, 2nd Edition" which covers basic operations of numbers and fractions, and the suggestion to do a web search for "pre-algebra books." Eventually, the person finds what they were looking for by googling "algebra for dummies pdf" and discovering the book "Algebra I For Dummies, 2nd Edition."
awholenumber
you know all the things that you are supposed to study before algebra .

any good book suggestions ?
:nb)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would checkout the videos at Khan Academy or at mathispower4u.com as you will probably learn more quickly. You can stop the video, rewind it and play it again to learn the concept.

Thanks for the suggestion , i would still like to read books , for some reasons i don't like videos much .

i have collected a couple of books like
Peter Selby, Steve Slavin-Practical Algebra_ A Self-Teaching Guide
HELM workbooks

but the problem is i wish i had that one book that also covers some operations of numbers , fractions and such , i haven't been able to find a book like that

anyway i will keep looking , maybe i can find some good websites like the ones you suggested

thanks for the suggestions once again

i think it would be waste of time looking for a book that would contain only parts of mathematics like these

https://www.mathsisfun.com/fractions-menu.html

the best think still would be to learn little things like those from many different places
after that i can move to these two books

Peter Selby, Steve Slavin-Practical Algebra_ A Self-Teaching Guide
HELM workbooks

rosekidcute said:
you know all the things that you are supposed to study before algebra .

any good book suggestions ?
:nb)
The material that comes before algebra is pretty much limited to plain old arithmetic. If you do a web search for "pre-algebra books" you'll see tons of links. One that seems interesting to me is this one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0452295408/?tag=pfamazon01-20, by Danica McKellar, who was on a US TV show called "The Wonder Years" that ran in the late '80s and early '90s. She also holds a degree in mathematics and drives race cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jedishrfu
Thanks for the suggestion Mark44 ,

but i found what i was looking for when i googled this "algebra for dummies pdf" .

then you can freely download this book

Algebra I For Dummies, 2nd Edition

it has all those little things i am looking for

rosekidcute said:
Thanks for the suggestion Mark44 ,

but i found what i was looking for when i googled this "algebra for dummies pdf" .

then you can freely download this book

Algebra I For Dummies, 2nd Edition

it has all those little things i am looking for
Great! However, you asked about all the things that you are "supposed to study before algebra," so that's how I responded. If that Dummies book is what you need, then great!

Likes jedishrfu
Yes that's exactly what i wanted , thank god i found it

Likes jedishrfu

1. What makes a book a good resource for learning elementary mathematics?

A good book for learning elementary mathematics should be well-organized, clear, and engaging. It should also cover all the main concepts and provide plenty of practice problems.

2. Is there a specific book that is recommended for beginners in elementary mathematics?

There are many good books for beginners in elementary mathematics, but a popular choice is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. It covers all the fundamental concepts and has clear explanations and plenty of exercises.

3. Are there any books that use real-life examples to explain elementary math concepts?

Yes, there are many books that use real-life examples to explain elementary math concepts. "Math Curse" by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith is a fun and creative book that relates math concepts to everyday situations.

4. Are there any interactive books or resources for learning elementary mathematics?

Yes, there are many interactive books and resources for learning elementary mathematics. "Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving" by Greg Tang is a great interactive book that uses art to teach math concepts.

5. Can a person of any age use a book to learn elementary mathematics?

Yes, a person of any age can use a book to learn elementary mathematics. For adults, "The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure" by Hans Magnus Enzensberger is a fun and informative book that teaches math concepts in a unique and engaging way.