Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a good friend ?

1. Jun 4, 2003 #1
    What is a "good" friend ?

A good friend shall possess what characteristics? Kindness, helpfullnes, trustworthy?

What criteria?

Do you think you're a good friend to some people?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2003 #2
    Good friends should have courage to point out your mistakes, not necessarily be kind but need to be considerate. They should be able to share your happiness and sadness, and you should have sense of secruity when sharing your secrets with them.

Personally, I don't think it is easy to find a true friend nowadays coz people become more and more selfish in this materialistic world. This is my subjective opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone. :smile:
  4. Jun 5, 2003 #3
    A true friend:

a) Always has cigarettes "going spare".

b) Is a dolphin who doesn't mind you grabbing its fin and tagging along for merry aquatic adventures, usually involving smugglers.

All others are charlatans who seek to carve out your heart with your own cutlery, defecate in it, then feed you it.

At least...that's what my mother told me
  5. Jun 5, 2003 #4
    a life without good friend is like a well without water --DEAD.
  6. Jun 5, 2003 #5
    You've probably heard the saying, "A dog is man's best friend." It has been used so much that it has become a cliche, but it does describe a good friend.

A dog is happy when you are happy, sad when you are sad. (Your happiness means more to them then theirs.)

A dog senses when you are troubled without a word from you and tries to make you feel better.

A dog gets so exited to see you arrive that their whole body shakes with happiness (beginning with a tail wag when they hear the car coming down the street and ends with all four feet bouncing off the floor when you walk in the door).

A dog forgives you for being angry with her and is only happy that you love her again.

A dog gives unconditional love. He would love for you to return his love, but if you don't, he loves you anyway.

That kind of a friend is rare to find in a person.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?