Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a lifting function ?

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    What is a "lifting function"?

Hi,

I was reading a journal article and they mentioned something called a "lifting function". It was apparently used with the Navier-Stokes equation to translate the boundary conditions (which were complicated, and NOT non-slip), into a body force.

It looks like think technique could be useful, so I wanted to find out what it was. The problem is that they reference given in the article was some lecture series from the 1950s, which I can't get a hold of.

So, could anyone here explain what a lifting function is, or hopefully point me to a good explanation?

(I notice that there is something called a lifting function used in topology, but I assume it's unrelated.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: What is a "lifting function"?

I don't recognize the term "lifting function" itself but such things as "Stoke's theorem":
    [tex]\int_C \vec{f}\cdot \vec{ds}= \int\int_S \nabla\times\vec{f}\cdot\vec{dS}[/tex]
    Where C is the one-dimensional boundary of the two-dimensional surface S
    and the "divergence theorem"
    [tex]\int\int_S \vec{F}\cdot\vec{dS}= \int\int\int_V \nabla\cdot\vec{F} dV[/itex]
    Where S is the two-dimensional surface of the three-dimensional region V seem to be what you are talking about.

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3
    Re: What is a "lifting function"?

Thanks, HoI. The divergence theorem could well be what they meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook