1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a linear combination?

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am in a differential equations course currently. The chapter I'm reading is "linear differerntial equations: basic theory". The words linear combination and linear operator are used.

2. Relevant equations

L{[tex]\alpha[/tex]f(x) + [tex]\beta[/tex]g(x)} = [tex]\alpha[/tex]L(f(x)) + [tex]\beta[/tex]L(g(x))

3. The attempt at a solution

I forgot what the quick and easy definition of "linear combination was. I seem to remember something about "closed under addition and scalar multiplication". Perhaps somebody could help me re-learn this concept. I took Calc III and Linear Algebra and passed with flying colors but time has eaten my brain.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A linear combination of, say, x1, x2, ..., xn must involve only multiplication by numbers and addition or subtraction: a1x1+ a2x2+ ...+ anxn where every "a" is a number. Anything more complicated than just "multiply by numbers and add", for example x2 or x/y or cos(x) is NOT linear.

A linear operator is an operator that "preserves" the operations: T(ax+ by)= aT(x)+ bT(y) where a and b are numbers. Matrix multiplication of vectors, differentiation of functions and integration of functions are examples of linear operators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook