Metaphysics: Understand the Basics

• Thread starter noman.rasheed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metaphysics
In summary, metaphysics is the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space. It is usually helpful to examine the roots of an unfamiliar term. Try a search on "metaphysical etymology" for more information.
noman.rasheed
Hi!

Can someone please explain me a metaphysics in detail?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
No, but wikipedia can :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics

I tried,but it didn't work. I just need to know what it is in simple words with some general example.

noman.rasheed said:
I tried,but it didn't work. I just need to know what it is in simple words with some general example.
The explanation is in the wikipedia link provided.

If you can't open it, do a search for metaphysics, you'll find the definition.

noman.rasheed said:

"the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space."

it's usually helpful to examine the roots of an unfamiliar term. Try a search on "metaphysical etymology" .

Meta= beyond,
so what's beyond physical ? Philosophy, i guess, and maybe the occult.

Philosophy has three* principal parts, metaphysics being one of them broadly deals with the same topics as science but often without the focus on empiricism and scientific method, like Aristotelian hand-waving . The branch is IMO- a dead one.

A note on the etymology (wiki):

The editor of Aristotle's works, Andronicus of Rhodes, is thought to have placed the books on first philosophy right after another work, Physics, and called them τὰ μετὰ τὰ φυσικὰ βιβλία (ta meta ta physika biblia) or "the books that come after the [books on] physics". This was misread by Latin scholiasts, who thought it meant "the science of what is beyond the physical".

The error is a frequent one and has made it almost synonymous to pseudoscience.

Another on the definition in #5:

"the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space."

'knowing' largely falls into epistemology (the theory of knowledge and the second branch of philosophy, the third being ethics) and not metaphysics.

(*Well, 5 if you count logic and aesthetics...)
P.S. Er...why do we have a live philosophy thread? I would report it, but I love my post-count.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Webster, as usual, has a concise and reasonable offering:

Full Definition of METAPHYSICS

a (1) : a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being and that includes ontology, cosmology, and often epistemology
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/metaphysics

From a long and erudite article on the subject:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/metaphysics/#WorMetConMet

How, then is metaphysics to be defined? Is metaphysics (as metaphysics is now understood) simply a compendium of philosophical problems that cannot be assigned to epistemology or logic or ethics or aesthetics or to any of the parts of philosophy that have relatively clear definitions?

There is no entirely satisfying answer to this question.

So to original question, which was:
Can someone please explain me a metaphysics in detail?

I don't think so.

This thread has been answered, thanks all.

Likes 1 person

What is metaphysics?

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy that deals with the nature of reality and being. It seeks to understand the fundamental principles and underlying nature of existence, including concepts such as time, space, causality, and consciousness.

What topics does metaphysics cover?

Metaphysics covers a wide range of topics, including ontology (the study of being and existence), cosmology (the study of the origin and structure of the universe), and epistemology (the study of knowledge and belief). It also explores concepts such as free will, determinism, and the nature of the mind and consciousness.

What is the difference between metaphysics and physics?

The main difference between metaphysics and physics is that metaphysics deals with abstract and philosophical concepts, while physics deals with empirical and observable phenomena. Metaphysics seeks to understand the fundamental nature of reality, while physics focuses on studying the physical laws and properties of the natural world.

Is metaphysics a science?

Metaphysics is not considered a science in the traditional sense, as it does not use the scientific method to test and verify its theories. However, some aspects of metaphysics, such as cosmology, may overlap with scientific theories and research.

Why is metaphysics important?

Metaphysics is important because it helps us to better understand our world and our place in it. It allows us to question and explore fundamental concepts and ideas, leading to a deeper understanding of the nature of reality and our existence. Metaphysics also has practical applications, such as in ethics, religion, and spirituality.