What is a Module? Polynomials & Vector Spaces

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    module
In summary: You can still do "linear algebra" like this, but the modules will be different than vector spaces. For example, the integers themselves can form a module over themselves, but not a vector space. A module is essentially just a generalization of a vector space that allows for different types of scalars.
marellasunny
First,could you please clear this doubt-
A polynomial with rational coefficients does not form a vector space over the real numbers.So,will this set of polynomials be called a module instead of a vector space?

Is my understanding correct?Any thing else I should know about modules?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it will not be called a module. I don't think it will be called anything, since the scalar multiplication is probably not well-defined.

In fact, over the real numbers, a module is exactly the same as a vector space. More generally, a module over a field is exactly the same as a vector space.

Thus the notion of module is only interesting for things that are not fields. What is a module?? Well, if we have a ring (with unity, non necessarily commutative) R, then a left module M is an abelian group equipped with a "scalar multiplication"

[tex]\cdot:R\times M\rightarrow M[/tex]

which satisfies the usual properties:

[tex](r+r^\prime)\cdot m=r\cdot m + r^\prime \cdot m[/tex]
[tex]r\cdot (m+m^\prime)=r\cdot m+r\cdot m^\prime[/tex]
[tex]1\cdot m=m[/tex]

A right module is essentially the same thing, except that the scalar multiplication is now from the right. Thus we have a map
[tex]\cdot: M\times R\rightarrow M[/tex]

marellasunny said:
A polynomial with rational coefficients does not form a vector space over the real numbers.So,will this set of polynomials be called a module instead of a vector space?

Thanks

Yeah both sets of coefficients are fields, so I think if anything is a module it is a vector space. So let's assume your question is about whether or not it is a vector space over the reals.

So I like to think of vector spaces and modules as two sets, which I like to call the vectors and the scalars. So the set of vectors must be an abelian group. Sure, the set of polynomials with rational coefficients is an abelian group. However, there is a problem with your scalars, because multiplying by an inconvenient scalar (real number; in particular an irrational) will pop you out of your abelian group. So it is not a module, which by the way is pretty much the simplest two set "algebra" considered in "abstract algebra".

Keep in mind their is an "algebra" named "algebra", which is also an algebra with two sets, scalars and vector like I mentioned. An algebra is basically a module where the vectors have a multiplication operation. So groups and rings have one set, while modules, vector spaces and "algebras" have two sets (which I call scalars and vectors). Each set has a different number of operations defined on it, check out the definitions for your self.

So the subject of algebra is the study of various algebras, an example of which is an algebra, a vector space where the vectors have a ring structure themselves.

(So the word algebra is used on three different levels here.)

marellasunny said:

Thanks

A module over a field is a vector space. This may be taken as the definition of a vector space.

The polynomials with rational coefficients are not a vector space over the reals - with usual multiplication - because a real number times a polynomial with rational coefficients may not be a polynomial with rational coefficients.

If there were some non-standard multiplication - which I do not think there is - at least not one that extends usual multiplication by rationals - then the polynomials with rational coefficients would have the cardinality of the reals which they do not. So there is no possible way to make them into a vector space over the reals,

A good example of a module would be if you did linear algebra with integers as the scalars, instead of the real numbers--so, here you have modules taking the place of vector spaces. The scalars no longer form a field because there are no multiplicative inverses.

1. What is a module?

A module is a mathematical structure that is similar to a vector space, but with coefficients from a ring instead of a field. It is a set of elements that satisfies certain axioms and can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by elements of the ring.

2. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are expressions consisting of variables and coefficients, where the variables are raised to non-negative integer powers. They can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by other polynomials, and are commonly used to represent functions in mathematics.

3. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, called vectors, that can be added and multiplied by scalars. It satisfies certain axioms, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and is commonly used to represent geometric and algebraic objects.

4. How are polynomials and vector spaces related?

Polynomials can be viewed as a special type of vector in a vector space. For example, the set of all polynomials of degree n or less form a vector space over a given field. This allows for the use of vector space properties and operations when working with polynomials.

5. What are some real-world applications of modules, polynomials, and vector spaces?

Modules, polynomials, and vector spaces have a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, computer science, and economics. For example, vector spaces are used to model physical systems, while polynomials are used in data analysis and signal processing. Modules are used in abstract algebra and algebraic geometry to study the properties of rings and fields.