Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a moment?

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    Don't flame me please:cry: What is a moment? I learn it in math and in physics , I never really got either enough experience in it or never came to a realization.
    All you physics whiz, please help me understand what it is.:frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2
    Its a twisting tendency that occurs when you have a force applied at some distance from an axis of rotation.
  4. Apr 16, 2007 #3
    There's at least one other common usage of the word moment
    the nth moment of a distribution is defined as

[itex]\int \rho(x) x^n dx[/itex]
  5. Apr 16, 2007 #4
    so why is this word used in such general terms? Is magnetic moment same as mechanical moment in classical mechanics in general?
  6. Apr 16, 2007 #5
    I'll tell you in just a moment....

I think almost all use of the term 'moment' is related to some sort of integral like the one in my post. You'd have to study the equations to see if this is true.
  7. Apr 16, 2007 #6
    Yes, a moment is a moment is a moment.
  8. Apr 16, 2007 #7
    There are several "moments" in physics. When a physicist does not how to name a physical quantity, he christens it "moment something". There are (at least):
    linear moment
    angular moment
    moment of a force
    moment of inertia
    dipole moments (magnetic and electric)

cyrusabdollahi described the moment of a force.
    I think that the one you are asking is the linear moment. This is the product of the mass of the object times its speed. p = mv.
    When you are hit by a moving object (I do not talk about hurting or killing hits!) it is the moment of the object that will overthrow you or not. Not the speed or the mass alone, but the product of both.
    For the other moments you can begin reading the corresponding entry in wikipedia and post your questions if there is still something unclear.
  9. Apr 16, 2007 #8
    Physicists can also be a 'she'.
  10. Apr 16, 2007 #9
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks lpfr, I think your explaination was what I was seeking, anyone elese have any other insights I would appreciated very much. Funny Christianjb, very funny. Do you mind If I ask you what your gender is?
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  11. Apr 16, 2007 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think here you mean "linear momentum" and "angular momentum." You have then gone on to give a description of linear momentum, when the OP asks "what is moment;" not "what is momentum."
  12. Apr 16, 2007 #11
    Yeah p or mv is momentum, not moment
  13. Apr 16, 2007 #12
    I'm male, but I know some excellent female physicists.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?