What is a Morton Wave on the Sun?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation is about a solar video clip from 2006 showing an X9 flare and a "morton wave" on the surface of the sun. The speaker notes that the wave looks like a high-speed shock wave similar to those seen in large explosions on Earth. They mention searching for definitions of the term "morton wave" but cannot find any. Another person suggests checking out the Wikipedia page for Moreton waves, which provides more information about the phenomenon and its speed.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi gang,

I have a have a solar video clip from the 8th Dec, 2006 showing an X9 flare and a "morton wave" spreading out across the surface of the sun.

Now to me this looks just like the hi speed shock wave that you can hi speed video from any LARGE explosion on earth.

The prob is, I have searched on "morton wave", "morton waves on the sun" and a few other variations, but cannot find any definitions of the term

Any thoughts ?

cheers
Dave

Astronomy news on Phys.org
just a little bit more …

Hi Dave!

erm :redface:spelling! :smile:

try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreton_wave" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Dave!

erm :redface:spelling! :smile:

try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreton_wave" :wink:

ohhh crap ;) very red face haha ... thanks kindly, that tells me a lot more that what I previously knew. WOW ... 500 - 1500km/s prop speed !

cheers
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Morton wave?

A Morton wave, also known as a Z-order curve, is a fractal-like pattern that is used to map multidimensional data onto a one-dimensional line. It is named after its inventor, Guy Morton, and is commonly used in computer graphics and scientific computing.

2. How does a Morton wave work?

A Morton wave works by interleaving the bits of a multidimensional coordinate into a single number, creating a linear ordering of the data points. This allows for efficient indexing and retrieval of data in multidimensional arrays or databases.

3. What are the applications of Morton waves?

Morton waves have a wide range of applications, including image compression, data indexing, database sorting, and spatial data structures. They are also used in computer graphics to improve the locality of data access in memory, leading to faster rendering times.

4. How is a Morton wave different from a Hilbert curve?

Both Morton waves and Hilbert curves are space-filling curves that map multidimensional data onto a one-dimensional line. However, a Morton wave has a simpler construction and is easier to implement, while a Hilbert curve has a more complex and elegant mathematical formula.

5. Can Morton waves be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Morton waves can be extended to any number of dimensions. The number of bits required to represent the coordinate increases with each additional dimension, but the basic principle of interleaving remains the same.