Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a notification?

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    When I visited the board today, under "Welcome, pellman" where it usually lists Private Messages: Unread #, it read instead "Notifications: 1". What does this mean?

After I clicked on my profile, the notice reverted to "Private Messages: Unread 0"

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Move your cursor over the "Your Notifications" link and you will see 4 types of notifications, one of which is "Unread Profile Visitor Messages". I would guess that you had at least one of those and when you clicked on your profile the board software marked them as "read".

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...ah yes, user Quantum Bend left a message on your profile.

5. Feb 8, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I remember correctly, the "Notifications: 1" message is also a clickable link which will take you directly to the message, whether it's a PM or VM.

6. Feb 8, 2009 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As tom has mentioned when you click on the link a little drop down menu of four options appears and tells you what type of notification you have received and how many there are by highlighting them in bold. You can then click on the appropriate option in that drop down menu to take you there.

7. Feb 8, 2009 #6
    I see it now. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook