What is a Peltier Coefficient?

In summary, a Peltier Coefficient is a measure of the effectiveness of a Peltier device as a heat pump. It can be used for active cooling of electronics by supplying electricity to the device. The coefficient, denoted as \Pi_{AB}, is the difference between the coefficients of each material used in the device. Different sources may use different variables such as \dot{Q} and P to represent the same concept. Peltier cells can be purchased online from various sources, including eBay and Edmond Scientific.
Mk
What is a Peltier Coefficient?

[tex]\dot{Q} = \Pi_{AB} I = \left( \Pi_B - \Pi_A \right) I[/tex]
where [tex]\Pi_{AB}[/tex] is the coefficent of the thermocouple, and [tex]\Pi_B[/tex] and [tex]\Pi_A[/tex] are the coefficient of each material.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a measure of how good a heat pump the Peltier device is.

These are sometimes used for active cooling of electronics etc. You supply electricity to the device, and it acts as a solid state refrigerator, moving heat from one place to another.

As with an ordinary refrigerator, there is a net production of heat, due to the power consumed by the device, but it can still make some things colder, by pumping the heat away from them.

Mhmm, I have a source saying that [tex]\dot{Q} = \Pi_{}[/tex], that [tex]\dot{Q}[/tex] is the amount of heat evolved or absorbed per unit time. I have one saying that P= [tex]\Pi_{}[/tex], and the peltier coefficient is the amount of heat evolved or absorbed at a junction of a thermocouple when a current of one ampere passes through it for one second.

Could it be that the different sources are using different variables... Q-dot the big pi thing, and P are all the same thing?

Does someone knows where can I buy Peltier cells in internet?

I need to know where made and sell peltier cells and how they sell to others countries.

Thank in advance.

ejdb78 said:

I need to know where made and sell peltier cells and how they sell to others countries.

Thank in advance.

Just google Peltier Cells, and you'll get lots of ads by places that sell them.

ejdb78 said:

Thank in advance.
eBay is always a good option. Maybe Edmond Scientific has something too

1. What is a Peltier Coefficient?

A Peltier Coefficient is a measure of the thermoelectric effect, which is the conversion of temperature differences into electricity and vice versa. It describes the ability of a material to transfer heat energy when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How does a Peltier Coefficient work?

A Peltier Coefficient works based on the Peltier effect, which states that when an electric current passes through two dissimilar conductors, heat will be transferred from one end to the other. This creates a temperature difference between the two ends, with one end becoming cooler and the other becoming warmer.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Peltier Coefficient?

The unit of measurement for Peltier Coefficient is volts per ampere (V/A), commonly known as volts per ampere-second (V/A·s).

4. What are some applications of Peltier Coefficient?

Peltier Coefficient is used in various applications, including cooling systems, temperature control devices, and power generation. It is commonly used in refrigerators, air conditioners, and thermoelectric generators.

5. How is Peltier Coefficient different from Seebeck Coefficient?

Peltier Coefficient and Seebeck Coefficient are both measures of the thermoelectric effect, but they are in opposite directions. Peltier Coefficient describes the heat energy generated or absorbed by an electric current, while Seebeck Coefficient describes the electric potential produced by a temperature difference.