Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a Peltier Coefficient?

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1

Mk

What is a Peltier Coefficient?

[tex]\dot{Q} = \Pi_{AB} I = \left( \Pi_B - \Pi_A \right) I[/tex]
    where [tex]\Pi_{AB}[/tex] is the coefficent of the thermocouple, and [tex]\Pi_B[/tex] and [tex]\Pi_A[/tex] are the coefficient of each material.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2
    It's a measure of how good a heat pump the Peltier device is.

These are sometimes used for active cooling of electronics etc. You supply electricity to the device, and it acts as a solid state refrigerator, moving heat from one place to another.

As with an ordinary refrigerator, there is a net production of heat, due to the power consumed by the device, but it can still make some things colder, by pumping the heat away from them.

4. Dec 4, 2004 #3

Mk

Mhmm, I have a source saying that [tex]\dot{Q} = \Pi_{}[/tex], that [tex]\dot{Q}[/tex] is the amount of heat evolved or absorbed per unit time. I have one saying that P= [tex]\Pi_{}[/tex], and the peltier coefficient is the amount of heat evolved or absorbed at a junction of a thermocouple when a current of one ampere passes through it for one second.

5. Dec 4, 2004 #4

Mk

Could it be that the different sources are using different variables... Q-dot the big pi thing, and P are all the same thing?

6. Mar 15, 2007 #5
    Does someone knows where can I buy Peltier cells in internet?

I need to know where made and sell peltier cells and how they sell to others countries.

Thank in advance.

7. Mar 15, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just google Peltier Cells, and you'll get lots of ads by places that sell them.

8. Apr 25, 2007 #7

Mk

eBay is always a good option. Maybe Edmond Scientific has something too

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?