1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is a "Pin-Bar" TEA Laser

1. Nov 21, 2017 #1
    Now from reading wiki i understand there are Pin-bar and non pin-bar, non pin-bar is what people have moved to today with the spark gap. but i read that "These first 'Pin-Bar' TEA lasers, operating at around one pulse per second, were easy and cheap to construct. By operating at atmospheric pressure, complex vacuum and gas-handling systems could be avoided. They could produce MW peak powers of a few 100 ns duration". I also read that Pin-bar was more of an early model, and that in the pin bar laser one electrode took the form of a plain bar, and another a series of pins. I dont know if that will help you answering this but i want to construct one of these pin-bar lasers but cant seem to find anything anywhere. I see CO2 TEA lasers with spark gaps but i think thats non pin bar?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Nov 26, 2017 #3
    If I´m not mistaken, the pin-bar TEA CO2 laser was the first successful "high pressure" CO2 laser. The idea is quite simple; a cylindrical bar serves es the anode and a set of pins (simple resistors pierced through the envelope) make a "distributed" cathode. The pins were 1 cm apart and with a reliable spark-gap it worked quite well.
    However, it had a shortcoming; the gain zone resembled a wedge with its apex on the pins and its "base" on the bar. Therefore, the output mode had a rather poor beam quality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted