1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a pragmatist?

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    Hey All,
    I'm taking a philosophy 101 course, and my teacher said that my viewpoints are highly pragmatic. I looked up pragmatism, and I found several explanations, but all the explanations were written in complicated,hard to comprehend language. Would someone tell me what a pragmatist is in layman's terms?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Someone who believes experimental evidence rather than what hard to comprehend textbooks say.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  4. Sep 20, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

If you believe that the outcomes of your actions can be studied and can lead you to a better understanding of a deeper truth, you may be a pragmatist. If you look at problems in terms of practicalities and the likely outcomes of your actions, you may be a pragmatist. A pragmatist is the kind of person who will say "Well in the best-case scenario, we could try this, BUT...." and then follow up with a suggestion for action that is based on the likely outcome of such action.

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    Pragmatically speaking, Whatever works. Theory of operations you understand that are internally consistent and enable engineering and troubleshooting success. The following is on pragmatic electrical theories I presented to a skeptics group a coupla' weeks ago where the Electric Universe was pummeled.

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    This is what you call a can of worms.... but... I guess you could say its a matter of being a 'results oriented', bottom line, type. Although thats quite an oversimplification on my part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?