Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Is A Protoplast?

1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    What is a protoplast? I know that it is a part of the cell wall. So is the cell membrane on the inner side of the protoplast? During plasmolysis, does the protoplast pulls away or does the cell membrane pull away from the cell wall? The book I am referring to says that the protoplast is "living". What do they mean? The cell is a living thing, but are the organelles individually living things? What makes the protoplast living and not another organelle of the cell a living component?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 4, 2015 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Correct.

Protoplast applies to plant cells, and bacterial cells - it is the remains of the cell after the cell wall is removed. It is an old term.

5. Sep 6, 2015 #4
    That is what I saw when I looked it up online, but funnily the text that I am following refers to it as the living part of the cell and that it moves away from the cell wall during plasmolysis. Thanks anyway!

6. Sep 6, 2015 #5
    Thanks!

7. Sep 8, 2015 #6
    The quoted definition has 4 usages:

"
    noun
    Biology.
    1. the contents of a cell within the cell membrane, considered as afundamental entity.
    2. the primordial living unit or cell.

a person or thing that is formed first; original; prototype.

the hypothetical first individual or one of the supposed first pair of aspecies or the like."

[ http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/protoplast ]

Hypothetically they can refer to the nucleus. I would stay away from using it, at least without specifying usage. And possibly stay away from texts that do use and doesn't specify! :woot:

8. Sep 10, 2015 #7
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook