What is the Role of Quantum Fluctuations in the Formation of Black Holes?

In summary: The article does not say anything about them creating black holes.Although most regions of high density would be quickly dispersed by the expansion of the universe, a primordial black hole would be stable, persisting to the present.This too is false. Matter can only persist for a finite amount of time, and eventually it will decay and create new fluctuations.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What is a quantum fluctuation and how do they form a seed for black holes?:

Space news on Phys.org
Quantum fluctuations are simply a variation in the vacuum energy of a point in space.

As far as I know, black holes are formed by the accumulation of mass. Once a critical amount is acquired within a specific region of space the mass collapses to form a black hole.

There are theories about the possibility of micro-black holes, but no one has observed/detected any and it is simply a theory.

Loren said:
Quantum fluctuations are simply a variation in the vacuum energy of a point in space.

As far as I know, black holes are formed by the accumulation of mass. Once a critical amount is acquired within a specific region of space the mass collapses to form a black hole.

There are theories about the possibility of micro-black holes, but no one has observed/detected any and it is simply a theory.

I thought it was big bang, plasma, quantum fluctuation, black hole, or some form of creation from a QF.

wolram said:
I thought it was big bang, plasma, quantum fluctuation, black hole, or some form of creation from a QF.

Can you give a reference that describes a specific model of primordial black hole creation from quantum fluctuations?

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a reference that describes a specific model of primordial black hole creation from quantum fluctuations?

No Peter i can not, but from what i can find out in the literature, by my understanding, is that a quantum fluctuation is the seed for producing massive bodies, i am still looking for confirmation.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations/

I have found this article that states that matter is all quantum fluctuations.

And this article on primordial black holes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_black_holeAccording to the Big Bang Model, during the first few moments[clarification needed] after the Big Bang, pressure and temperature were extremely high. Under these conditions, simple fluctuations in the density of matter may have resulted in local regions dense enough to create black holes. Although most regions of high density would be quickly dispersed by the expansion of the universe, a primordial black hole would be stable, persisting to the present.

Last edited:
wolram said:
I have found this article that states that matter is all quantum fluctuations.

First, this article gives no references to actual peer-reviewed papers, which is always a red flag. You need to find some actual papers.

Second, the actual models described in the article, as far as I can tell (without having a link to an actual paper), do not say that "matter is all quantum fluctuations". They only say that most of the mass of, say, a proton is due to the energy associated with virtual particle fluctuations, not the mass of the valence quarks that make up the proton. But the valence quarks are certainly there, and they are not just "fluctuations", and the model does not say otherwise. "Matter is merely vacuum fluctuations" is typical New Scientist exaggeration.

wolram said:
Under these conditions, simple fluctuations in the density of matter may have resulted in local regions dense enough to create black holes.

These fluctuations are not quantum fluctuations; they're just ordinary thermal fluctuations, the same as happen in any piece of matter with a finite temperature.

1. What is a quantum fluctuation?

A quantum fluctuation is a temporary and spontaneous change in the energy of a subatomic particle or system. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2. How do quantum fluctuations occur?

Quantum fluctuations occur due to the inherent uncertainty in the behavior of subatomic particles. According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This allows for temporary changes in the energy of a particle, known as quantum fluctuations.

3. Do quantum fluctuations only occur in particles?

No, quantum fluctuations can also occur in empty space, known as vacuum fluctuations. In empty space, particles and antiparticles constantly pop in and out of existence, creating temporary quantum fluctuations in the energy of the vacuum.

4. Are quantum fluctuations observable?

Quantum fluctuations are not directly observable, but their effects can be seen through experiments and calculations. For example, the Casimir effect is a phenomenon that can be explained by vacuum fluctuations.

5. Can quantum fluctuations be controlled or harnessed?

At this time, quantum fluctuations cannot be controlled or harnessed for practical use. However, scientists are studying ways to manipulate and exploit these fluctuations in the future for potential applications in quantum computing and other technologies.