Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a quantum state?

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    What is a quantum state of a system? I keep hearing it, but I'm not able to fully understand what it means, especially in relation to Bose-Einstein Condensate, and the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Do you know what a classical state of a system is?

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    No, I do not.

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

In general, the state of physical system is a mathematical object(s) in terms of which all observable properties of the system can be calculated. In classical physics the state of the system is a point in phase space; the coordinates and the corresponding momenta. In quantum mechanics, the state of the system is a vector in an abstract vector space called the Hilbert space. In general, given the state of the physical system at some initial time, the equations of the theory tell you what the state will look like in a later time.

6. Nov 16, 2015 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Technically, in most axiomatizations, a state is a (unit) ray, not a vector. But this mathematical subtlety is far beyond our OP's current level of understanding, as I suspect he's not even started his university studies, whatever the subject.

7. Nov 16, 2015 #6
    I'm not even in high school (7th grade).

8. Nov 16, 2015 #7

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Are you "nitpicking" on me? :smile:

9. Nov 16, 2015 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook