Understanding Reflection in 3D Space: Finding Point Q | Homework Equations

• Thread starter canadian_beef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, the point Q is the reflection of P(-1,3,4), in the plane with equation 2x-y+z=1. Q is located at the same distance from the plane as P, and has the coordinates (3,1,6).
canadian_beef

Homework Statement

The point Q is the reflection of P(-1,3,4), in the plane with equation 2x-y+z=1.

Determine the coordinates of Q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am not really looking for a solution. I just want to know what I am trying to find. What is a reflection in three space. Where is point Q

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q is on the opposite side of the plane, at the same distance from the plane as P.

There's only one straight line from P to the plane that is perpendicular to the plane. Follow the continuation of that line (through the plane) until you are as far away from the plane as P. That point is Q.

What Fredrik said. And it is called a reflection because that is how your reflection in a mirror appears: your reflection appears to be on the other side of the mirror in such a way that the mirror is a perpendicular bisector of any straight line from a point on your body to the reflection of that point.

Find the parametric equations of the line through P perpendicular to the plane (that's the easy part and it is very easy to choose the parameter so that P corresponds to parameter equal to 0. Find the parameter where the line intersects the plane (solve a single linear equation). If P corresponds to parameter 0, then Q will have parameter equal to twice that of the point of intersection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help so far

This is what I have done so far

I know that the plane is 2x-y+z=11
Therefore all line perpindicular to that plane have a direction of (2,-1,1)

The parametric equation of the line which passes through point P and hits the plane are
x=-1+2t
y=3-t
z=4+t

I substituted those values into the equation of the plane (2x-y+z=11)
and got t=2

I plugged t=2 back into the parametric equations and got the intersection point between between the line and the plane to be (3,1,6)

Now I am a little confused on what to do from here.

What i guessed to do is subtract the point (-1,3,4) from (3,1,6), and got (4,-2,2,) and i added that to (3,1,6) to get (7,-1,8)
if this is right why, and if it is wrong, how do i approach this..thanks

What is a reflection?

A reflection is the change in direction of a wavefront at an interface between two different media so that the wavefront returns into the medium from which it originated.

How does reflection occur?

Reflection occurs when a wave hits an obstacle or boundary and bounces back. The angle at which the wave hits the boundary is equal to the angle at which it bounces back, as predicted by the law of reflection.

What types of waves can be reflected?

Reflection can occur with all types of waves, including light, sound, and water waves. The characteristics of the reflected wave depend on the properties of the medium and the angle at which the wave hits the boundary.

What are some examples of reflection in everyday life?

Reflection is present in many aspects of our daily lives. Some examples include seeing your reflection in a mirror, hearing an echo, and seeing your reflection on a still body of water.

How is reflection different from refraction?

Reflection and refraction both involve the bending of waves, but they differ in how the waves are affected. Reflection involves a change in direction of the wave, while refraction involves a change in speed and direction of the wave as it passes through different media.