Understand Quantum Resonance: What Is It?

• Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, a resonance in the quantum mechanical sense is a temporary 'bound' state with a finite width in energy. It can decay over time and the rate of decay depends on the width of the resonance. This concept is related to the delta(E)*delta(T)>Planck's constant principle. A resonance can be compared to a finite well barrier where particles can get trapped for a period of time before eventually leaking out. This can help explain processes such as an unstable neutron capture reaction, where a nucleus captures a neutron and then decays to a stable state.
atomicpedals
I'm finding that I don't really understand what a resonance, in the quantum mechanical use of the term, is. From what I get out of my texts it's related to an infinite square well potential. Is it when a particle is trapped but not bound? (I'm not even sure that last sentence makes sense in English or Physics)... So, for the sake of reading comprehension: what is a resonance?

Physics news on Phys.org
'Trapped but not bound' is actually pretty close. A resonance is basically a temporary 'bound' state. It has a width in energy because it's not bound forever. It can decay. A broad resonance decays quickly, a sharp resonance more slowly. It's the delta(E)*delta(T)>Planck's constant thing. It's a finite well barrier that the particles can get stuck in for a while but eventually leak out.

Last edited:
Thanks! Does this explain something like an unstable neutron capture reaction? Where a nucleus captures a neutron, becomes unstable, and then decays to a stable state.

1. What is quantum resonance?

Quantum resonance is a phenomenon in which two or more quantum systems become entangled and influence each other's behavior, even at a distance. It is also known as quantum entanglement.

2. How does quantum resonance work?

Quantum resonance occurs when two particles or systems interact and become entangled, meaning their properties become linked. This allows for instantaneous communication between the particles, even if they are separated by large distances.

3. What are the applications of quantum resonance?

Quantum resonance has various applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and studying the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can quantum resonance be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum resonance is a phenomenon that occurs at the subatomic level and cannot be observed in everyday life. However, its effects can be seen in technologies such as quantum computers and secure communication systems.

5. How does quantum resonance relate to the concept of superposition?

Quantum resonance is closely related to the concept of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed. In quantum resonance, particles can be in a superposition of states, which allows for instantaneous communication and entanglement.