How Do Rotating Reference Frames Affect Physics Calculations?

In summary, when considering non-inertial frames of reference, we must take into account the Coriolis acceleration and centripetal acceleration in addition to the acceleration seen by an inertial observer. This is demonstrated through the equations \frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{dt^2} = \ddot{\mathbf{r}} + 2(\mathbf{\Omega} \times \dot{\mathbf{r}}) +\mathbf{\Omega} \times (\mathbf{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r}) and \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = \frac{dx_i}{dt}\mathbf{e}_i + x_i(\math
Definition/Summary

Often in physics we need to consider frames of reference that are non-inertial (the Earth spinning on its axis for example). We must therefore see how these rotating reference frames relate to an inertial reference frame.

Equations

[tex]\frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{dt^2} = \ddot{\mathbf{r}} + 2(\mathbf{\Omega} \times \dot{\mathbf{r}}) +\mathbf{\Omega} \times (\mathbf{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r})[/tex]

Extended explanation

Effect on 1st derivatives:

Consider a rotating frame with an instantaneous angular velocity [itex]\mathbf{\Omega}[/itex]. A unit vector [itex]\mathbf{e}_i[/itex] traces a circle about [itex]\mathbf{\Omega}[/itex] at a rate:

[tex]\frac{d\mathbf{e}_i}{dt} = \mathbf{\Omega} \times \mathbf{e}_i [/tex]

A particle will have a position in the rotating frame given by [itex]\mathbf{r} = x_i\mathbf{e}_i[/itex] (where [itex]i[/itex] is summed from 1 to 3) and thus the velocity in an inertial frame is then:

[tex] \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}( x_i\mathbf{e}_i) = \frac{dx_i}{dt}\mathbf{e}_i + x_i\frac{d\mathbf{e}_i}{dt} = \frac{dx_i}{dt}\mathbf{e}_i + x_i(\mathbf{\Omega} \times \mathbf{e}_i)[/tex]

Example: torque equation:

For example, in a fixed frame of reference, the equation relating net torque on a body to its rate of change of angular momentum is:

[tex]\mathbf{\tau}_{net}\ =\ \frac{d}{dt}\left(\tilde{I}\,\mathbf{\Omega}\right)\ =\ \tilde{I}\,\frac{d}{dt}\left(\mathbf{\Omega}\right)\ +\ \frac{d\tilde{I}}{dt}\left(\mathbf{\Omega}\right)[/tex]

but in a frame rotating with the body, it is:

[tex]\mathbf{\tau}_{net}\ =\ \frac{d}{dt}\left(\tilde{I}\,\mathbf{\Omega}\right)\ \ +\ \ \mathbf{\Omega}\,\times \left(\tilde{I}\,\mathbf{\Omega}\right)\ =\ \tilde{I}\,\frac{d}{dt}\left(\mathbf{\Omega}\right)\ \ +\ \ \mathbf{\Omega}\,\times \left(\tilde{I}\,\mathbf{\Omega}\right)[/tex]

Effect on 2nd derivatives:

The acceleration is then (assuming [itex]\mathbf{\Omega}[/itex] is constant):

[tex] \frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{dt^2} = \frac{d^2r}{dt^2}+ 2\frac{dx_i}{dt}(\mathbf{\Omega}\times\mathbf{e}_i) + x_i(\mathbf{\Omega}\times(\mathbf{\Omega}\times \mathbf{e}_i))[/tex]

Tidying up a bit we have:

[tex]\frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{dt^2} = \ddot{\mathbf{r}} + 2(\mathbf{\Omega} \times \dot{\mathbf{r}}) +\mathbf{\Omega} \times (\mathbf{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r})[/tex]

The [itex] 2(\mathbf{\Omega} \times \dot{\mathbf{r}}) [/itex] term is called the Coriolis acceleration and the [itex]\mathbf{\Omega} \times (\mathbf{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r})[/itex] term is called the centripetal acceleration.

What we have essentially is:

Acceleration seen by inertial observer = Acceleration seen by rotating observer + extra terms

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's interesting! It's helpful to know how these rotating reference frames relate to an inertial reference frame so we can better understand how to calculate the acceleration of a particle in a rotating frame. Thanks for sharing this information!

1. What is a rotating frame?

A rotating frame, also known as a rotating reference frame, is an imaginary coordinate system that rotates along with an object or system of interest. This allows for a more convenient and simplified analysis of the motion of the object or system.

2. How does a rotating frame differ from an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a coordinate system that is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, while a rotating frame is constantly changing its orientation with respect to an object or system. In an inertial frame, Newton's laws of motion hold true, while in a rotating frame, additional fictitious forces may need to be considered.

3. What is the purpose of using a rotating frame?

A rotating frame is used to simplify the analysis of the motion of an object or system that is undergoing rotational motion. It allows for the elimination of complex equations and considerations of fictitious forces, making the analysis more manageable.

4. Can any object or system be analyzed using a rotating frame?

Yes, any object or system that undergoes rotational motion can be analyzed using a rotating frame. This includes objects such as spinning tops, planets, and even entire galaxies.

5. Are there any limitations to using a rotating frame?

While a rotating frame can simplify the analysis of rotational motion, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used in situations where the motion of the object or system is primarily linear, and it also does not account for the effects of external forces such as friction or air resistance.