Prove Divergence/Convergence of Integral dx/ln(x) (0-1)

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, to prove the convergence or divergence of dx/ln(x), you can use the limit at infinity, the limit comparison test, or other known convergent or divergent series.
Dell
what is a similar function i can use to prove divergence/convergence of this function?
i am given the following, and asked if it converges or diverges

integral or dx/ln(x) (from 0-1)

what i did was look for a similar function, either something that is bigger and converges of smaller and diverges,
but i came across a whole bunch of problems, other than the usual, in this case my function is negative, which isn't too serious as i can take its abs value, but i have problem areas at both limits of the integral, 0 and 1, and i cannot find any function to prove its behaviour with, please help me!

someone told me to use the fact that ln(x) goes to -infinity as x goes to 0 at the same rate that e^x goes to infinity as x goes to infinity, not that i fully understand the meaning of that but i though of maybe using

g(x)=1/(e^(1/x)) so that when x=0 both g(x) and f(x) are 0 but that didnt relly help me at all

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach would be to consider the limit at infinity for this function. You can show that the limit of dx/ln(x) as x approaches infinity is 0, which implies convergence. You can also use the limit comparison test to compare this to another known convergent or divergent series. For example, you could compare it to 1/x, which is a known divergent series, and thus conclude that dx/ln(x) is divergent. Alternatively, you could compare it to 1/x^2, which is a known convergent series, and thus conclude that dx/ln(x) is convergent.

What is the definition of divergence/convergence of an integral?

The divergence or convergence of an integral refers to whether the integral converges to a finite value or diverges to infinity as the limits of integration approach a certain point.

What is the significance of proving divergence/convergence of an integral?

Proving divergence/convergence of an integral is important in determining the behavior of the function being integrated and in evaluating the integral itself.

What is the general method for proving divergence/convergence of an integral?

The general method for proving divergence/convergence of an integral is to use the comparison test, where the given integral is compared to a simpler integral that is already known to diverge or converge.

How do you prove divergence/convergence of the integral dx/ln(x) (0-1)?

To prove divergence/convergence of the given integral, we can use the comparison test with the integral ∫dx/x (0-1) since ln(x) is always less than or equal to x for x > 0. This simpler integral is known to converge, therefore, the given integral also converges.

What is the interval of convergence for the integral dx/ln(x) (0-1)?

The interval of convergence for the given integral is (0, 1] since ln(x) is only defined for positive values and the limit of ln(x) as x approaches 0 is negative infinity.