1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a similar function i can use to prove divergence/convergence of this function

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    what is a similar function i can use to prove divergence/convergence of this function?
    i am given the following, and asked if it converges or diverges

integral or dx/ln(x) (from 0-1)

what i did was look for a similar function, either something that is bigger and converges of smaller and diverges,
    but i came accross a whole bunch of problems, other than the usual, in this case my function is negative, which isnt too serious as i can take its abs value, but i have problem areas at both limits of the integral, 0 and 1, and i cannot find any function to prove its behaviour with, please help me!!

someone told me to use the fact that ln(x) goes to -infinity as x goes to 0 at the same rate that e^x goes to infinity as x goes to infinity, not that i fully understand the meaning of that but i though of maybe using

g(x)=1/(e^(1/x)) so that when x=0 both g(x) and f(x) are 0 but that didnt relly help me at all

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?