Understanding Stress and Inertia Tensors: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary: I believethat the statement you are questioning was clear on that. But you are rightto question things. It's a valuable check on myself.In summary, a tensor is a mathematical object that describes the transformation of vectors from one coordinate system to another. It is used to determine the relationship between two vectors or to change the direction of a vector. In physics, tensors are often used to describe the behavior of materials under stress and the relationship between angular momentum and angular velocity. They are essential in understanding the complex relationships between vectors in different directions.
chandran
what is a tensor. what is a stress tensor? what is a inertia tensor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scroll down to the end of this page and look at the 'what is a tensor' entry

https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=7

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Marlon's writeup is good. Let me try to intuitize it a bit for your particular question.
(There is a special subset of tensors called dyads. I'm using those to get the
point across in this example.)

If you want to know how much of one vector points along the direction of another
vector you use a dot product.

But a tensor is something which can result in another vector when you take the dot
product of the tensor and the vector. The vector you get out can point in a different
direction too.

In the case of stress you want to know which way the forces push or pull on a small
portion of stuff inside a solid if you were to slice a tiny face of it. Since force is
a vector and direction is another vector the stress tensor says "give me a direction
you want to look in and I'll tell you which way the forces are pointing."

Tensors can do more than that mathematically but that should help you to
undertand why you need them. You need them whenever you have general
relationships between vectors which must transform those vectors into
different directions from the original vectors.

Another way to say it is that to change the amplitude of a vector you can
multiply it by a number. To change it's direction requires multiplying it with
a tensor. A vector cross-product is actually a tensor operation because it
operates on two vectors and results in a third which points in a new direction.

In many materials the deformation vector (strain, S)) of the material is not in the direction of the applied stress vector (force per unit area, P). Then Hooke's law must be written as a matrix equation
[itex]S_i=\Sigma\epsilon_{ij}P_j[/itex]. The [itex]\epsilon_{ij}[/itex]
are the nine components of the "stress tensor". It is called a "tensor" because of the way it transforms under a rotation of coordinates.
The "tensor of inertia" is a tensor that relates angular momentum to angular velocity when they are not in the same direction. That equation is
[itex]L_i=\Sigma I_{ij}\omega_j[/itex].

Antiphon said:
If you want to know how much of one vector points along the direction of another
vector you use a dot product.
Well, ok, but do mention that the dot-product can be seen as a tensor itself; ie a (0,2)-tensor. You give in two vectors and this tensor gives back a scalar.
Then you also know that a vector product is a tensor...etc...

But a tensor is something which can result in another vector when you take the dot
product of the tensor and the vector.
I am not sure this is quite accurate. i think you should replace the dot product by tensor product. I mean, the dot product is defined as a (0,2)-tensor so it must always yield a scalar. You are referring to a matrix product (which is also a tensor) or more generally a tensor-product.

The vector you get out can point in a different
direction too.

What exactly are you talking about here ? A different direction to what ?

To change it's direction requires multiplying it with
a tensor.
Well this is ofcourse true but this is certainly not a very general definition of a tensor. I mean, you can change the direction of a vector by simply multiplying it by a scalar : -1 for example. Indeed a scalar is also a tensor in itself, but the point is that i can apply your way of reasoning without using the word tensor ONCE. Hence this is not complete. Besides you are only giving 50% of the definition at best because you are totally omitting the required transformation properties. In your case Christoffel symbols would also be tensors but THEY ARE NOT. I explain this i my above journal entry

regards
marlon

Of course all your comments are accurate Marlon, and your link already
contained everything I restated. I merely tried to translate it down to the
level of the question being asked.

I'm an EE so I prefer to think of it as "impedance matching of ideas." Not
much will get through to the original poster unless he can relate to it in terms
he already understands. Later, he can come back and learn the full and correct
meanings. Of course I presume he needed than level of explaining, but what else can I assume without further explanation from him?

What exactly are you talking about here ? A different direction to what ?

No vector operations can change the direction of a vector. For that and in
the general case (of arbitrary transformations) you need tensors.

Last edited:

1. What is stress tensor and how is it different from inertia tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of forces within a material or object. It measures the internal forces acting on a small element of the material. In contrast, an inertia tensor represents the distribution of mass within an object and measures its resistance to changes in motion.

2. How do stress and inertia tensors affect the mechanical behavior of materials?

Stress and inertia tensors play a crucial role in determining the mechanical properties of materials. They affect the material's response to external forces, its ability to withstand deformation, and its overall stability and strength.

3. What factors influence the values of stress and inertia tensors?

The values of stress and inertia tensors are influenced by various factors such as the material's composition, shape, and orientation, as well as the type and magnitude of external forces acting on it.

4. How can stress and inertia tensors be calculated or measured?

Stress and inertia tensors can be calculated using mathematical models and equations based on the material's properties and external forces. They can also be measured experimentally using specialized equipment such as strain gauges and accelerometers.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding stress and inertia tensors?

Understanding stress and inertia tensors is essential in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and physics. It is used in the design and analysis of structures, predicting and preventing mechanical failures, and developing advanced materials with specific properties.