Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Thm: Min Arithmetic Req'd?

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum requirement for a theory of numbers to prove Gödel's First Incompleteness Theorem. Robinson Arithmetic is shown to be the weakest finitely axiomatizable theory that is essentially undecidable, while a weaker theory called R is also proven to be essentially undecidable but not finitely axiomatizable. The book "Undecidable Theories" by Tarski, Mostowski, and Robinson is recommended as a resource for further reading.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I often read (for example, in Wikipedia on "Rosser's Trick") that in order for a proof of Gödel's First Incompleteness Theorem, one assumes an efficient consistent theory of numbers which includes a "sufficient fragment of elementary arithmetic". What minimum would qualify? Is Robinson's Q a minimum? (Among others, obviously.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Robinson Arithmetic is certainly sufficient, and is what is used in the versions of the proof that I have read.
I don't know if any of the Robinson axioms can be removed while still leaving the incompleteness theorem in place. My guess would be No, but I've never seen any investigation of it.

Likes nomadreid
I suggest reading Tarski, Mostowski, and Robinson's Undecidable Theories, which shows that (a) Robinson's arithmetic is the weakest finitely axiomatizable theory which is essentially undecidable (cf. Theorem 11, where they prove that the omission of any of its seven axioms makes the theory decidable); (b) there is, however, a weaker theory which is not finitely axiomatizable and which is also essentially undecidable (they call it R in their paper). Using ##\Delta_n## as an abbreviation of ##S(S(\dots(0)))## (the successor function applied n times to 0), the axioms for R consist in the following schema (p. 53):

1. ##\Delta_p + \Delta_q = \Delta_{p+q}##;
2. ##\Delta_p \times \Delta_q = \Delta_{p \times q}##;
3. For each ##p, q## such that ##p \not =q##, ##\Delta_p \not = \Delta_q##;
4. ##x \leq \Delta_p \rightarrow x = \Delta_0 \vee \dots \vee x = \Delta_p##;
5. ##x \leq \Delta_p \vee \Delta_p \leq x##.

On pages 53-54, they show that all these axioms are derivable from Q (that is, Robinson's Arithmetic), thus, that R is weaker than Q. Next, they prove (Theorem 6) that every recursive function is definable in R. This, coupled with Corollary 2 (if T is a consistent theory in which all recursive functions are definable, then T is essentially undecidable), gives the result that R is essentially undecidable. Notice that, since R is recursively axiomatizable, it follows, by Turing's theorem (if a theory is recursively axiomatizable and complete, it is decidable), that it is incomplete.

Likes PeroK, nomadreid, andrewkirk and 1 other person
Very interesting and extremely helpful, Nagase. I shall see if I can get hold of a copy. Thanks a million.

nomadreid said:
Very interesting and extremely helpful, Nagase. I shall see if I can get hold of a copy. Thanks a million.

You're welcome. Fortunately, the book is available as a very cheap Dover paperback, so it won't cost you much!

Likes nomadreid
Nagase, you make the assumption that I am in a place where I have easy access to the purchase of Dover paperbacks. Since I am in a place where English is not an official language, there are only three ways to get such books: ordering from abroad (and sometimes the shipping is more than the book:))), or getting it online (which I have managed to do :smile:) or to find it in one of the obscure little bookshops carrying used English books (given that these bookshops contain mainly detective and romance fiction, the probability here is less than the proverbial epsilon).

What is Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem?

Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem is a mathematical result discovered by Austrian mathematician Kurt Gödel in 1931. It states that in any consistent formal system that is powerful enough to express basic arithmetic, there will always be true statements that cannot be proven within that system.

What does "Min Arithmetic Req'd" mean in the context of Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem?

"Min Arithmetic Req'd" refers to the minimum amount of arithmetic (mathematical operations and axioms) required in a formal system to demonstrate the incompleteness of that system. Gödel's theorem states that a formal system must be powerful enough to express basic arithmetic in order to exhibit incompleteness.

Why is Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem significant?

Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem is significant because it showed that there are inherent limitations to formal systems, and that there will always be true statements that cannot be proven within those systems. This has far-reaching implications in mathematics, logic, and computer science.

How does Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem relate to the concept of undecidability?

Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem is closely related to the concept of undecidability, which refers to the inability to determine the truth or falsity of a statement within a formal system. Gödel's theorem showed that there will always be undecidable statements within a consistent formal system that is powerful enough to express basic arithmetic.

What are some applications of Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem?

Gödel's 1st Incompleteness Theorem has had significant impact in various fields such as mathematics, logic, and computer science. It has been used to study the foundations of mathematics and to investigate the limits of computability. It has also been applied in the development of proof theory and computational complexity theory.