Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is a time warp?

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    As matter causes the space to warp, does time also bends or warp due to mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2016 #2
    Well there is an effect called time dilation.
    This causes time to appear to pass more slowly for an object which is close to something very massive like a back hole.
    The slowing down is at it appears to a distant observer, the object itself if it was a sentient being would not notice any difference to the passing of time.

4. Jul 25, 2016 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Space and time are not separate entities they blur together forming space-time under GR.

5. Jul 26, 2016 #4
    Thank you, rootone and Chronos for your reply,
    Rootone - I am aware of the concept of time dilation but this time warp, is it same as the time dilation or is it something entirely different concept. I tried searching for the term but could not get any success.

6. Jul 26, 2016 #5
    I am not sure you mean by the term 'time warp' other than in the context of dilation.
    Can you provide a reference to what you are talking about?

7. Jul 26, 2016 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Lorentz factor is given by [tex] \gamma = 1/(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] Length contraction is given by [tex] L=\frac{L_0}{\gamma}[/tex] and time dilation is given by [tex] T=T_0\gamma [/tex] So, L & T are inversely proportionate. When distance is expressed in terms of the speed of light: D=cT; D = distance, T = time and c=1 [in natural units]. This reduces to D=T, so the two are the same thing from this perspective.

8. Jul 26, 2016 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely "time warp" is a Science Fiction term. I can't think there will be any rigorous definition.

9. Jul 27, 2016 #8
    Thank you very much for your comments guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted