Understanding the Role of Variables in Mathematics

• Thread starter HyperbolicMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary: Variables are just symbols that represent values or elements in a set. They can either be assigned a specific value or represent any value within the set. The important thing is to understand their purpose and how they are used in mathematical concepts and proofs. In summary, a variable is a symbol that can represent either a specific or arbitrary element in a set, and understanding its purpose is crucial in mathematical concepts and proofs.
HyperbolicMan
What EXACTLY is a variable?
This probably sounds like a really stupid question, buts been giving me a terrible headache . . .

I've always had the intuitive understanding I learned in high school algebra that a variable can represent known or unknown quantity. I recently received an introduction to set theory and I began to rethink my understanding of a variable. It seems to me that a better way to describe a variable would be to say that it is a symbol that can refer to either a specific or an arbitrary element of a set. For example, we could say that "x=5" or that "x is a real number."

My question is: What does it really mean to refer to an arbitrary element of a set? If we accept that variables can represent specific elements of a set, then is there a way to define what we mean by a variable referring to an arbitrary member of a set? Vice-versa? I cannot seem to get around this without falling back on intuition.

I think the answer to this question is very important, because in almost all the proofs I've ever seen, proving that a proposition is true for an arbitrary element of a set implies that the proposition is true for every element of the set.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arbitrary means any, without specification. My gut feeling is you are overthinking.

1. What is a variable?

A variable is a placeholder or container that holds a value or information that can change. It is used in programming and mathematics to represent unknown or changing quantities.

2. How is a variable different from a constant?

A variable can change its value, while a constant has a fixed value that cannot be altered. Variables are often used to store values that can be manipulated, while constants are used to represent unchanging values.

3. What are the types of variables?

There are three main types of variables: numeric, string, and boolean. Numeric variables hold numerical values, string variables hold text or characters, and boolean variables hold true or false values.

4. How do variables work in programming?

In programming, variables are declared and assigned a value. The value can then be manipulated or used in calculations. The variable's value can be changed at any point in the program, allowing for dynamic and flexible code.

5. Why are variables important in scientific research?

In scientific research, variables are used to represent different factors or conditions that can influence an experiment or study. By manipulating and controlling variables, scientists can better understand the relationship between different elements and make more accurate conclusions.