Exploring Waves: Understanding What a Wave Is Made Of

In summary, a wave is a form of energy transfer that does not require matter and is described by a function of spatial and time variables. It is an abstract geometrical object that propagates through a medium, which is made of particles. The concept of waves versus particles becomes more relevant when discussing electromagnetic waves, but for mechanical waves, the medium carries the energy in a particular fashion similar to the initial distortion caused by energy. After a certain distance, sound energy converts into heat through random motion of surrounding air molecules. A textbook may not provide a thorough explanation, but it is important to learn the rules before understanding the game. Ultimately, a wave can be described as that which follows the wave equation.
Aman Trivedi
I'm going to begin studying about waves and sounds. But before I start I wanted help in understanding what really a wave is, I searched on google and YouTube and what I did understand was that waves are caused by a disturbance, due to that disturbance the potential energy gets converted to kinetic energy as energy starts moving ahead. What I don't understand is what is this wave made of? If waves and particles are different, then what exactly is a wave made of?
Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Aman Trivedi said:
I'm going to begin studying about waves and sounds. But before I start I wanted help in understanding what really a wave is, I searched on google and YouTube and what I did understand was that waves are caused by a disturbance, due to that disturbance the potential energy gets converted to kinetic energy as energy starts moving ahead. What I don't understand is what is this wave made of? If waves and particles are different, then what exactly is a wave made of?
Thank you :)

Do you have a textbook that is part of your beginning studies? If you do, what does it say? If you don't, how are you studying all this? Using random things you find online?

Zz.

A wave is pretty much a form in which energy is transferred without the presence of matter. There are ultimately two different types of waves: transverse waves and longitudinal wave. The primary difference between the two is that transverse waves can be polarized but longitudinal ones cannot be. A polarized wave vibrates in a single plane.

Likes Robert Casey
In my opinion the best way to think about "what a wave is" is geometrically. In the most basic sense a wave is an abstract geometrical object that moves in some particular fashion. The wave itself is not "made of" anything. The wave is just a description of how some geometrical distortion in a medium propagates. The "wave versus particle" question isn't really interesting until you start talking particularly about electromagnetic waves. If your question is what electromagnetic waves are made of, then this is a sort of deep quantum mechanics question that nobody has a perfect answer to yet. But if we forget about that and just focus on basic mechanical waves, like sound waves or water waves or waves on a string, then the answer is straightforward: waves are propagating geometrical disturbances in a medium (moving shapes), and the medium is made of particles (presumably some kind of molecules).

Mathematically, the general representation of a wave is some function of the form f(x-vt), where x is a spatial variable and t is a time variable.

Likes Aman Trivedi and ProfuselyQuarky
ZapperZ said:
Do you have a textbook that is part of your beginning studies? If you do, what does it say? If you don't, how are you studying all this? Using random things you find online?

Zz.

I've a textbook. I'm doings IGCSEs right now. The thing is that the textbook doesn't really give much reasoning behind why things are the way they are. I know how to calculate the speed, wavelength, frequencies and etc. But I don't like to learn the rules before seeing the game. :)

Likes Merlin3189
Aman Trivedi said:
But I don't like to learn the rules before seeing the game. :)

well that makes it really difficult for you to learn
it would be a really good idea to start changing your mindset on that :wink:

davenn said:
well that makes it really difficult for you to learn
it would be a really good idea to start changing your mindset on that :wink:
Honestly, knowing the why's and how's to the what's helps me understand better. :)?

Likes Sturk200
Sturk200 said:
In my opinion the best way to think about "what a wave is" is geometrically. In the most basic sense a wave is an abstract geometrical object that moves in some particular fashion. The wave itself is not "made of" anything. The wave is just a description of how some geometrical distortion in a medium propagates. The "wave versus particle" question isn't really interesting until you start talking particularly about electromagnetic waves. If your question is what electromagnetic waves are made of, then this is a sort of deep quantum mechanics question that nobody has a perfect answer to yet. But if we forget about that and just focus on basic mechanical waves, like sound waves or water waves or waves on a string, then the answer is straightforward: waves are propagating geometrical disturbances in a medium (moving shapes), and the medium is made of particles (presumably some kind of molecules).

Mathematically, the general representation of a wave is some function of the form f(x-vt), where x is a spatial variable and t is a time variable.

so energy causes distortion in a medium, and the medium carries the energy in a particular fashion similar to the initial distortion caused by energy? Another question :p what happens to sound energy after a certain distance? What does it convert into?

Aman Trivedi said:
so energy causes distortion in a medium, and the medium carries the energy in a particular fashion similar to the initial distortion caused by energy? Another question :p what happens to sound energy after a certain distance? What does it convert into?

Heat, I would think. That's to say, random motion of the surrounding air molecules.

Aman Trivedi said:
I've a textbook. I'm doings IGCSEs right now. The thing is that the textbook doesn't really give much reasoning behind why things are the way they are. I know how to calculate the speed, wavelength, frequencies and etc. But I don't like to learn the rules before seeing the game. :)
If you don't know the rules you won't understand the game. Especially if the game IS the rules. :)

I think the best explanation of a wave I've ever heard was, "A wave is that which obeys the wave equation".

Likes Vanadium 50
Aman Trivedi said:
Lol It was probably the worst metaphor I used. I guess I like to learn the game before playing the game, is a
better was to put it. :p

^corrected myself lol

Drakkith said:
I think the best explanation of a wave I've ever heard was, "A wave is that which obeys the wave equation".
That's sure helpful, Drakkith :smile:

Sturk200 said:
Any object can probably be put in this form, as seen from a moving frame of reference.
A wave is a traveling oscillation.

my2cts said:
Any object can probably be put in this form, as seen from a moving frame of reference.
A wave is a traveling oscillation.
Not all waves have a wavelength. because they are not always periodic. Probably an improvement would be 'a traveling disturbance'. This would then include single pulsed waves or the propagation of a 'step' transition.

Waves are just a general term to describe the propagation of energy and momentum. Some waves are periodic and represent oscillations, some are not. They are the natural way in which energy and momentum spread out and move in continuous mediums, based on the laws of nature we happen to live with.

sophiecentaur said:
Not all waves have a wavelength. because they are not always periodic. Probably an improvement would be 'a traveling disturbance'. This would then include single pulsed waves or the propagation of a 'step' transition.

Can I think of it as a set of dominos? Where one disturbance, creates a chain traveling along?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
That's sure helpful, Drakkith :smile:

Thanks. I'm here for you, after all! :-p

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Drakkith said:

sophiecentaur said:
The oscillation involves a displacement and a return force, which in general is nonlinear. If oscillations in one place are coupled to the next place, a traveling oscillation can result. This covers even the case of falling domino pieces. The only problem I see with this definition is that it requires a medium, so it begs the in my opinion unavoidable question: what is the medium for EM waves ?

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
This transforms the question into: what is a wave equation?
Back to the drawing board :-) .

Likes Aman Trivedi
Drakkith said:

what was a wave before the wave equation ?

Likes Aman Trivedi
my2cts said:
The oscillation involves a displacement and a return force, which in general is nonlinear. If oscillations in one place are coupled to the next place, a traveling oscillation can result. This covers even the case of falling domino pieces. The only problem I see with this definition is that it requires a medium, so it begs the in my opinion unavoidable question: what is the medium for EM waves ?
In your initial 'definition; you exclude EM by implication so it's not surprising you end up with a problem about a transmission medium.
If you acknowledge that all energy / information etc etc, takes time to travel from place to place, you have a built in reason why waves occur; it takes time for a disturbance of any kind to make its presence felt at a distance. That's all you need for a wave to form, whether it's mechanical, EM (or gravitational).

lychette said:
what was a wave before the wave equation ?

my2cts said:
so it begs the in my opinion unavoidable question: what is the medium for EM waves ?

One could argue that through Maxwell's equations, a change in the electric field causes a corresponding change the magnetic field within the surrounding region, which causes a change in the electric field which causes a change in the magnetic field and so on. It can also be shown that this resulting wave (assuming a vacuum) propagates at the speed [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{\varepsilon_0 \mu_0}} [/itex], where [itex] \varepsilon_0 [/itex] is the "permittivity of free space" and [itex] \mu_0 [/itex] is the "permeability of free space." No medium is necessary. This gets kinda' interesting in the perspective of special relativity, but that shouldn't come as big surprise; Maxwell's equations were one of the primary influences for Einstein writing his "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" paper in 1905. [Edit: for those unfamiliar, that was the paper that first introduced the concept of relativity.]

But I fear I'm getting off topic for the OP's question. It's probably best to start with something simpler.

---

If you want to get qualitatively familiar with waves before delving into the math, try some experimentation. Wiggle one end of a rope with the other end loose. Notice the waves going through the rope. What happens when the wave gets to the other end of the rope? Does it reflect back? Now tie the other end of the rope to a wall hook or a post. Does the wave reflect back this time? Do you notice anything different about the reflected wave in each case (loose end vs. fixed end)?

Try to create "standing waves" with the rope. Is there a qualitative difference in the standing waves for a rope with the other end fixed vs. that with the other end open?

With the rope tied to the post, pull on the rope when making a wave (not a standing wave, but just a normal wave this time), thus increasing the tension on the rope. Does the tension in the rope affect the speed at which the wave travels?

Last edited:

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium, transferring energy without causing any permanent displacement of the medium itself. It can be described as a series of repeating crests and troughs.

2. What is a medium?

A medium is the substance or material through which a wave travels. This can include solids, liquids, and gases.

3. How are waves created?

Waves are created when a source of energy, such as a vibration or movement, causes a disturbance in a medium. This disturbance then propagates through the medium as a wave.

4. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical and electromagnetic. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves do not. Examples of mechanical waves include sound waves and water waves, while examples of electromagnetic waves include light and radio waves.

5. How do we measure waves?

Waves can be measured using various properties such as amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs. Frequency is the number of waves passing through a point in a given amount of time and is measured in hertz (Hz).