Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Action

1. Mar 26, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

I'm a 2nd year physics grad student and have recently found this great forum.

I've taken a course on classical mechanics but never really appreciated why action is such a useful concept. I've noticed people talking about action a lot in things like string theory and it seems that action is more fundamental (?) or more useful (?) than simply the Lagrangian or the Hamiltonian but I do not see why.

If anyone could say a few words about why it is so useful to know the action ... and what you would then DO with it - then I would be very appreciative. (ie. what you can DO with the Lagrangian is stick it into the euler lagrange eqtns to get the eqtns of motion - what can you 'do' with the action).

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This site says it better than I could: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(physics)

Admin edit: fixed link. I'm not sure why it was broken in the first place -- I might need to make sure the url parser vB code is working properly.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?