1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Action

1. Mar 26, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

I'm a 2nd year physics grad student and have recently found this great forum.

I've taken a course on classical mechanics but never really appreciated why action is such a useful concept. I've noticed people talking about action a lot in things like string theory and it seems that action is more fundamental (?) or more useful (?) than simply the Lagrangian or the Hamiltonian but I do not see why.

If anyone could say a few words about why it is so useful to know the action ... and what you would then DO with it - then I would be very appreciative. (ie. what you can DO with the Lagrangian is stick it into the euler lagrange eqtns to get the eqtns of motion - what can you 'do' with the action).

Thanks in advance.

robousy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This site says it better than I could: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(physics)

Admin edit: fixed link. I'm not sure why it was broken in the first place -- I might need to make sure the url parser vB code is working properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook