What is Aeroelasticity? Is it one of the branches of Aerodynamics?

In summary, the History Channel documentary demonstrated how flutter was the probable cause for two Lockheed Electra airplane crashes in 1959-60.
EngTechno
What is Aeroelasticity? Is it one of the branches of Aerodynamics? :surprise:

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is the study of bending and vibrations in aerospace structures such as wings.

Wing flutter, wing divergence (shearing off), panel flutter, etc.

Speaking of flutter, there was a video aired recently on History Channel, that demonstrated how flutter was the probable cause for two Lockheed Electra airplane crashes in 1959-60. They used 4 prop engines

A NASA team analyzed the design and came to the conclusion that with wear, the propeller engine mounts became too loose and fluttered. That in itself did not cause the failure. However the flutter was at a harmonic of the wing's resonant frequency, stressing the wing to catastrophic failure and break off.

http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/Partners/P_3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
To be technical, the engine mounts don't flutter. They vibrate. Flutter is an aerodynamic excitation phenomena. One of the main things an engine mount has to do is effectively dampen any engine produced vibrations, whether they be mechanical or aerodynamic in nature.

Please forgive my ambiguity, I didn't mean the mounts fluttered.
When the engine mounts loosened, the propeller exhibited flutter. I see some refer to it as propeller whirl flutter. On the documentary, they indicated the propeller wobbled about its axis (analagous to wobble of our planetary poles)

Fred is this a classic example in aerospace engr classes?

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
Please forgive my ambiguity, I didn't mean the mounts fluttered.
When the engine mounts loosened, the propeller exhibited flutter. I see some refer to it as propeller whirl flutter. On the documentary, they indicated the propeller wobbled about its axis (analagous to wobble of our planetary poles)

Fred is this a classic example in aerospace engr classes?
I really don't know about that being a classic. I was an ME playing an AE. I have never heard that example until you presented it here. It was a bit surprising because my brother used to be a crew member on P-3's. The way I am most familiar with flutter is the testing we have to do on our engines prior to any airframe being given FAA cert. That scenario is a concern , but mostly our engines are not wing mounted.

That was a cool ariticle. I have always liked reading reports like that to see results of investigations. Good find.

What is Aeroelasticity?

Aeroelasticity is the study of the interaction between aerodynamics (the study of the motion of air) and structural mechanics (the study of how structures behave under different loads) in vehicles such as airplanes, helicopters, and wind turbines. It examines how aerodynamic forces can affect the structural integrity and stability of these vehicles.

Is Aeroelasticity one of the branches of Aerodynamics?

Yes, Aeroelasticity is a branch of Aerodynamics. It focuses specifically on the dynamic effects of aerodynamic forces on structures, while Aerodynamics covers a broader range of topics related to the motion of air and its effects on objects.

What are some applications of Aeroelasticity?

Aeroelasticity is important in the design and analysis of airplanes, as it helps engineers understand how aerodynamic forces can impact the structural integrity and stability of the aircraft. It is also crucial in the design of wind turbines, as it helps to ensure that the blades can withstand the aerodynamic forces generated by the wind. Additionally, Aeroelasticity is important in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures that are subject to aerodynamic forces.

What are the main challenges in studying Aeroelasticity?

One of the main challenges in studying Aeroelasticity is that it involves complex interactions between aerodynamics, structural mechanics, and other factors such as control systems and material properties. This requires a multidisciplinary approach and advanced mathematical models to accurately predict the behavior of these systems. Additionally, experimental testing and validation can be challenging due to the large scale and high speeds involved in many real-world applications.

What are some potential benefits of studying Aeroelasticity?

Studying Aeroelasticity can lead to improved designs and performance of vehicles and structures that are subject to aerodynamic forces. This can result in increased safety, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness. It can also help in the development of new technologies, such as more efficient wind turbines and advanced aircraft designs. By understanding how aerodynamic forces affect structures, engineers can also develop methods to mitigate their impact and improve the overall performance and durability of these systems.