What is after QM Core and before QFT?

In summary, the individual has completed Quantum Core courses and General Relativity, but feels they are missing something before taking courses on Quantum Field Theory and Quantum Electrodynamics. They mention that an undergraduate level Quantum Mechanics course may not have gone into enough detail, but in general, they are ready to start learning QFT. They also mention that they found a QFT course at the right level for them, as they found that courses labeled as QED were too advanced. However, the individual is confused as to how QFT and QED could be separate courses with different levels of difficulty.
LostConjugate
I have completed Quantum Core courses as well as GR and it seems there is something I am missing before taking QFT/QED courses. Is there another subject between?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've taken an undergraduate level QM class, it probably didn't go into as much detail as a graduate level class, so you might want to consider that. But in general, you're all ready to jump into the QFT pool. It will seem like there's stuff you're missing, but that's just because QFT is rather confusing until you understand why you're doing all that...

LostConjugate said:
I have completed Quantum Core courses as well as GR and it seems there is something I am missing before taking QFT/QED courses. Is there another subject between?

I don't know what you mean by quantum core, but there are particular chapters (scattering theory is an example) in a what Americans call <graduate> course on QM which are mandatory prerequisites before jumping into quantum field theory, the latter being defined as the formal gathering of facts giving you a description of the Standard Model of Fundamental Particles & Interactions.

General Relativity is not a prerequisite of QFT, only a necessary completion of the classical field theory courses.

Last edited:
I found a QFT course that picked up right about where I needed to be. I think the problem was that courses labeled QED were a bit further ahead than I was ready for.

LostConjugate said:
I found a QFT course that picked up right about where I needed to be. I think the problem was that courses labeled QED were a bit further ahead than I was ready for.

I don't understand. How could you have had QFT and QED separately and with different levels of difficulty ?

1. What is the difference between QM Core and QFT?

Quantum Mechanics (QM) Core is the foundation of modern physics that explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It deals with phenomena such as wave-particle duality and uncertainty principle. Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is an extension of QM that incorporates the principles of special relativity and describes the interactions between particles.

2. Is there a specific order in which one should learn QM Core and QFT?

It is generally recommended to first learn QM Core before moving on to QFT, as QM Core provides the necessary mathematical framework and understanding of quantum phenomena. However, some may choose to learn QFT first, as it is a more modern and advanced theory.

3. What is the significance of the "core" in QM Core?

The term "core" in QM Core refers to the fundamental principles and concepts that form the basis of quantum mechanics. These include the wave function, operators, and the Schrödinger equation.

4. Are there any other theories or concepts between QM Core and QFT?

Yes, there are other theories and concepts that bridge the gap between QM Core and QFT, such as quantum electrodynamics (QED) and quantum chromodynamics (QCD). These theories incorporate the principles of QM and QFT to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of QM Core and QFT?

QM Core and QFT have numerous applications in modern technology, including transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). They also play a crucial role in understanding and developing new materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors.