Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is an affidavit?

1. Sep 11, 2003 #1

megashawn

Science Advisor

I might not have even spelled it right. Basically, I've had some problems with our local yamaha shop, and they are not wanting to make good on some damage. Instead of type the whole story again, I'm going to link to another forum where I've already posted it:

http://www.dirttrails.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5851

Anyhow, its progressed to the point where we plan to get another motorcycle mechanic to repair the damage, and provided a written testimony that the yamaha shop did damage the bike instead of fix it.

I was told that to pursue this in Small Claims Court I would need an affidavit from a mechanic. I was wondering if anyone would perhaps be able to enlighten me somewhat on this process.

If anyone bothered to read the above story, can I have your opinions on if you think its worthwhile to pursue?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2003 #2
    An affidavit is a sworn statement or testimony. I'm not familiar with the legal process regarding that, but you would be advised to contact your local courthouse or an attorney to learn more about the process.

4. Sep 11, 2003 #3
    An affidavit is a written statement of the facts, made freely under oath or confirmed by a recognized State authority. An affidavit is prepared when a witness won't be appearing in court.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?