What is an Affidavit? | Yamaha Shop Repair Damage Advice

• Thread starter megashawn
  • Start date
In summary: This statement is used to back up testimony given in court.In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to pursue a case against a local Yamaha shop for damage to their motorcycle. They have provided a link to a forum where they have already shared their story and are looking for opinions on whether it is worth pursuing. They have been advised to obtain an affidavit from a mechanic and seek guidance from a courthouse or attorney for further legal action.
megashawn
Science Advisor
I might not have even spelled it right. Basically, I've had some problems with our local yamaha shop, and they are not wanting to make good on some damage. Instead of type the whole story again, I'm going to link to another forum where I've already posted it:

http://www.dirttrails.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5851

Anyhow, its progressed to the point where we plan to get another motorcycle mechanic to repair the damage, and provided a written testimony that the yamaha shop did damage the bike instead of fix it.

I was told that to pursue this in Small Claims Court I would need an affidavit from a mechanic. I was wondering if anyone would perhaps be able to enlighten me somewhat on this process.

If anyone bothered to read the above story, can I have your opinions on if you think its worthwhile to pursue?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An affidavit is a sworn statement or testimony. I'm not familiar with the legal process regarding that, but you would be advised to contact your local courthouse or an attorney to learn more about the process.

An affidavit is a written statement of the facts, made freely under oath or confirmed by a recognized State authority. An affidavit is prepared when a witness won't be appearing in court.

1. What is an Affidavit?

An affidavit is a written statement made under oath by an individual who has personal knowledge of the facts contained in the statement. It is typically used as evidence in legal proceedings.

2. What is the purpose of an Affidavit?

The purpose of an affidavit is to provide a sworn statement of facts that can be used as evidence in a court of law. It is often used to support or refute a claim, provide evidence in a criminal case, or prove the authenticity of a document.

3. Who can make an Affidavit?

An affidavit can be made by any individual who has personal knowledge of the facts contained in the statement. This can include witnesses, experts, or the parties involved in a legal case.

4. What is the difference between an Affidavit and a deposition?

An affidavit is a written statement made under oath, while a deposition is a verbal statement made under oath. Affidavits are typically used as evidence in court, while depositions are used to gather information before a trial.

5. Can an Affidavit be used as evidence in court?

Yes, an affidavit can be used as evidence in court. However, its admissibility and weight as evidence may vary depending on the jurisdiction and the specific circumstances of the case.