What Are Even and Odd Functions?

• Thread starter eax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, an even function has the property f(x)=f(-x) while an odd function has the property -f(x)=f(-x). Many functions do not fall into either category. Symmetry can be of four types: on the x-axis, on the y-axis, on the origin, and on the y=x axis. Functions that are not symmetrical to anything, such as e^(-x)sin(x^3), are neither even nor odd. The names even and odd come from the fact that polynomials with only even powers of x are even functions, and polynomials with only odd powers of x are odd functions. However, most polynomials have both even and odd powers and are neither. This concept also
eax
Is this right?

An even function has this property
f(x)=f(-x)
and an odd function has this property
-f(x) = f(-x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. Note that many functions are neither even nor odd.

hypermorphism said:
Yes. Note that many functions are neither even nor odd.

Thanks! I just had a test, and one question said to give an example of an odd function and another to prove a function is odd. I looked at the "prove" question and guessed correctly :).

eax said:
Thanks! I just had a test, and one question said to give an example of an odd function and another to prove a function is odd. I looked at the "prove" question and guessed correctly :).

symetry can be of 4 types:

on the x-axis (like y^2-x^2=0 or the equation of an elipse etc)
on the y-axis (like y=x^2 or a function with even degree - hence it's an "even" function)
on the origin (meaning that if point (1,5) and (2,10) belong to it so must points (-1,-5) and (-2,-10)...in other words it is copied inversed in the negative direction)
on the y=x axis (like any function and it's inverse or like y=x+1 and y=x-1 for example)

i think the "odd" function is that symetric on orrigin i don't remember.

there are functions that are not symetric to anything. example: e^(-x)Sin(x^3). it would be just a function oscilating back and forth across the x-axis and ending up in a horisontal asymptote at y=0.

odd functions have rotational symmetry; even functions have reflectional(?) symmetry

The reason for the names is that every polynomial in x, having only even powers of x, is an even function, every polynomial in x, having only odd powers of x, is an odd function. Most polynomials, have both even and odd powers are neither.

OF course, "even" and "odd" applies to other functions as well: sin(x) is an odd function and cos(x) is an even function.

Given any function, f(x), we can define the "even" and "odd" parts of f by
[tex]f_{odd}(x)= \frac{f(x)- f(-x)}{2}[/tex]
[tex]f_{even}(x)= \frac{f(x)+ f(-x)}{2}[/tex]

If f(x)= ex, which is itself neither even nor odd, we get
fodd(x)= sinh(x) and feven= cosh(x).

1. What is an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function where the output remains unchanged when the input is replaced with its negative value. In other words, f(x) = f(-x) for every x in the function's domain. This results in a graph that is symmetric about the y-axis.

2. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a mathematical function where the output changes sign when the input is replaced with its negative value. In other words, f(x) = -f(-x) for every x in the function's domain. This results in a graph that is symmetric about the origin.

3. How can I tell if a function is even or odd?

To determine if a function is even or odd, you can use the symmetry test. If the function passes the symmetry test, it is even. If the function fails the symmetry test, it may be odd, but further testing is needed to confirm. Additionally, you can also check the function algebraically by plugging in -x for x and seeing if the output remains unchanged or changes sign.

4. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. A function can only have one type of symmetry - either even or odd. However, a function can have neither symmetry and be considered neither even nor odd.

5. What are some examples of even and odd functions?

Some examples of even functions include f(x) = x², f(x) = cos(x), and f(x) = |x|. Some examples of odd functions include f(x) = x³, f(x) = sin(x), and f(x) = √x. It is important to note that not all functions will fall into the categories of even or odd, as they may have neither symmetry.