What is an 'INORGANIC GLASS' ?

• Thread starter selseg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, inorganic glass refers to traditional silicate glasses that are considered alloys with inorganic oxides, while organic glass is a more recently invented class of materials that are essentially glasslike polymers. The solidification process of inorganic glass involves rapid cooling and the formation of a supercooled liquid state, which then transforms into glass. Nonsilicate inorganic glasses, such as calcium nitrate-potassium nitrate and chalcogenide glasses, can also be produced. Checking physical metallurgy can provide more information on inorganic glass.
selseg
I would want to know what an inorganic glass is an about its solidification process or references to where i could find information about it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that I can't help you. To me, 'organic' indicates that it is derived from a hydrocarbon compound which originated in a biological process. Thus all glass is 'inorganic'.

selseg said:
I would want to know what an inorganic glass is an about its solidification process or references to where i could find information about it.
Use Google and follow relevant links. Most of what we consider to be glasses are inorganic.

I guess an inorganic glass is a glass that does not fall under the much more recently invented class of materials known as organic glasses, which are essentially glasslike polymers. So all traditional silicate glasses are inorganic glasses.

Inorganic glass are considered as alloys with inorganic oxides as compounds.

When a meterial is rapidly cooled(the cooling rate is higher than a critical value), the material will not form to solid but liquid. The state after this rapid cooling is called supercooled liquid, because it has passed through the freezing range. And it transforms to glass.

checking the physical metallurgy may be helpful^^

It is possible to make glasses from nonsilicate inorganic compounds. One well-known system is calcium nitrate-potassium nitrate. Also, there is a family of chalcogenide glasses. In my experience people refer to nonsilicate glasses by their generic name, eg nitrate glass, alumina glass, chalcogenide glass rather than "inorganic glass"

What is an 'INORGANIC GLASS'?

An inorganic glass is a non-crystalline solid material that is composed of inorganic compounds, such as oxides, sulfides, or halides. It does not have a long-range order in its atomic structure and can be formed by cooling a molten material or by precipitation from a solution.

What are the properties of inorganic glass?

Inorganic glass has a high degree of transparency, making it suitable for use in windows, lenses, and optical fibers. It also has a high chemical resistance, low thermal expansion, and high mechanical strength. However, it is brittle and can shatter easily under stress.

How is inorganic glass made?

Inorganic glass is typically made by melting a mixture of inorganic compounds, such as silicon dioxide, sodium oxide, and calcium oxide, at high temperatures. The molten material is then cooled rapidly to prevent the formation of crystals, resulting in a non-crystalline solid.

What are the applications of inorganic glass?

Inorganic glass has a wide range of applications, including in construction, electronics, optics, and household items. It is commonly used in windows, lenses, mirrors, laboratory equipment, and packaging materials. It is also used in the production of ceramics, coatings, and catalysts.

What are the advantages of using inorganic glass?

Inorganic glass has several advantages, including its high strength and durability, chemical resistance, and transparency. It is also relatively inexpensive to produce and can be easily molded into different shapes and sizes. Additionally, it is non-toxic and recyclable, making it an environmentally friendly material.