Why Does Mathematics Need Physics?

• Thread starter matt grime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the differing perspectives on the relationship between mathematics and physics. While some argue that mathematics is purely a subject in and of itself, others believe that it is inseparably linked to real-world applications, citing examples such as Isaac Newton's development of calculus to solve physics problems. However, it is noted that many significant mathematical concepts were created without any regard to real-world applications, and that the two subjects have greatly influenced and enhanced each other throughout history.
matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Moderator's note: the first few posts in this thread were split from another thread

What you did in your example was show that mathematics' rules are consistent with the model you proposed. This is a plus point for mathematics, and the model. It doesn't prove that (-1)*(-1)=1. Whether or not such a view of mathematics as divorced from what it is modelling is a good thing is a whole other philosophical kettle of fish. They each have their flaws - yours because it presupposes physical intuition, and the acceptance of signed quantities in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
matt grime said:
What you did in your example was show that mathematics' rules are consistent with the model you proposed. This is a plus point for mathematics, and the model. It doesn't prove that (-1)*(-1)=1. Whether or not such a view of mathematics as divorced from what it is modelling is a good thing is a whole other philosophical kettle of fish. They each have their flaws - yours because it presupposes physical intuition, and the acceptance of signed quantities in the first place.

I agree, matt grime. By participating in this forum, I have found a little more understanding of how mathematicians think, that is, what mathematicians think mathematics is. All my life, I have viewed Mathematics and Physics as inseparable subjects; now I know that mathematicians view Mathematics as being a subject in and of itself, without regards to applications. Even though I disagree with this view, because my mind needs real-world applications in order to process information, at least I understand what the view is now.

I think it is interesting to note, however, that Isaac Newton came up with Calculus in order to solve real-world Physics problems. What is the reasoning behind mathematical rules if they do not need real-world applications?

Dr. Proof said:
I agree, matt grime. By participating in this forum, I have found a little more understanding of how mathematicians think, that is, what mathematicians think mathematics is. All my life, I have viewed Mathematics and Physics as inseparable subjects; now I know that mathematicians view Mathematics as being a subject in and of itself, without regards to applications. Even though I disagree with this view, because my mind needs real-world applications in order to process information, at least I understand what the view is now.

I think it is interesting to note, however, that Isaac Newton came up with Calculus in order to solve real-world Physics problems. What is the reasoning behind mathematical rules if they do not need real-world applications?

If you're interested in learning more about that then I recommend reading the first few chapters of Roger Penrose's Road To Reality. It will hopefully answer all your questions and more. It also has plenty of references for more in depth reading.

Dr. Proof said:

And number theory was started in 1943 in an attempt to create uncrackable codes. Fascinating stuff, the history of math. :tongue2:

Dr. Proof said:
The view that mathematics is created purely for some "real-world application" is short-sighted, in my opinion. While it is true that a lot of good mathematics was created to solve "real-world" problems, sometimes we can reap great rewards by ditching "reality" and generalizing and focusing on the ideas instead of the applications. Incidentally, such pursuits might actually give rise to more fascinating applications down the road. For a famous example, think about how differential geometry started out, and what Einstein did with it decades later.

I could go on, but instead I'll direct you to a series of videos where Cambridge Fields medalist Timothy Gowers shares his opinion:
(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Proof said:
my mind needs real-world applications in order to process information, at least I understand what the view is now.

That is OK for your mind, but a physical intuition is no real help for mathematics.

When Einstein wanted a curved geometry he found out that mathematicians had invented the subject 30 years before without regard to real life applications. Modern physics is permeated by group theory, the physicists brought that in round about the 1920s. Yet groups were invented in the mid 1800s by Evariste Galois to study completely abstract objects. Euler had been using them before to study other even more abstract things though he didn't formalize it. The language of string theory (which is really just pure mathematics) - derived categories, equivalences of A and B branes - was developed by Grothendieck some 20 years ago before anyone ever thought that particles could perhaps be modeled with vibrating strings.

The histories of the subjects are intertwined, and the better for it, but to say that mathematics needs physics, is definitely getting it the wrong way round if we are to assert one needs the other.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
The histories of the subjects are intertwined, and the better for it, but to say that mathematics needs physics, is definitely getting it the wrong way round if we are to assert one needs the other.

Thanks, matt grime, I am beginning to understand this history of math and physics a little better now.

1. What is Mathematics?

Mathematics is a field of study that involves the use of numbers, quantities, and shapes to describe and analyze patterns and structures in the world around us. It is often referred to as the language of science and is used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics.

2. What is the history of Mathematics?

The history of Mathematics dates back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians, Babylonians, and Greeks. These early civilizations used Mathematics to solve practical problems such as measuring land and time. Over time, Mathematics developed into a more abstract and rigorous discipline, with contributions from famous mathematicians such as Pythagoras, Euclid, and Newton.

3. What are the branches of Mathematics?

Mathematics can be broadly divided into two main branches: pure Mathematics and applied Mathematics. Pure Mathematics deals with abstract concepts and theories, while applied Mathematics uses these concepts to solve real-world problems. Some common branches of Mathematics include algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics.

4. Why is Mathematics important?

Mathematics is essential in our everyday lives as it helps us make sense of the world around us. It allows us to understand and describe patterns, make predictions, and solve problems in various fields. In addition, Mathematics is the foundation for many scientific and technological advancements, making it a crucial subject for progress and innovation.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Mathematics?

Improving your understanding of Mathematics takes practice and dedication. Some tips to improve your skills include practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and exploring different learning resources such as textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. It is also essential to have a positive attitude towards Mathematics and approach it with curiosity and a willingness to learn.