Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is anthracene solution

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    what is anthracene powder's solutions for detecting beta or gamma rays in nuclear scintillation detectors?
    I have read that alcohol is one of them.is it right?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are you asking? Are you asking about a scintillation coctail's composition... one that specifically includes anthracene?

As I recall, alcohols can cause chemiluminescence. Not a good thing.

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    In beta liquid scintillator detectors people use the anthracene solution which consist of anthracene powder and it's solvent.I asked about the solvent.What material is it?
    By using this solution and some electronic devices it will be possible to detect low energy beta particles.
    I will be thankful if any one can help me.

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Dec 22, 2008 #5
    Yes,you'r right.Toluene is that solvent which I need but I do not know what is anthracene concentration range in the cocktail (with toluene as solvent).Some books reffer me to R.P.Bell 1948 "The use of anthracene as a scintillation counter " article but it's not free in internet.
    any one can help me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?