Aqueous Tension vs. Vapor Pressure: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter mishrashubham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, aqueous tension is a pressure exerted by water vapor above the surface at any temperature where water and vapor are in equilibrium with each other.
mishrashubham
Like the title says; can anyone tell me what the correct definition of aqeous tension is? How is it different from vapour pressure of water if at all it is different?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
*bump*

The only thing that makes sense to me is that it would refer to the surface tension of an aqueous solution. Does that definition make sense for your application?

As to what surface tension is (in case that is your question) .. start here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension

and feel free to come back and ask questions if anything is not clear.

My first idea was it is a surface tension, but I did some googling and it looks like "aqueous tension" is some obscure term related to vapor pressure. But I can't offer any details.

Borek said:
My first idea was it is a surface tension, but I did some googling and it looks like "aqueous tension" is some obscure term related to vapor pressure. But I can't offer any details.

Concur; after some searching, it looks like it's an archaic term for the vapor pressure of water, as the OP suggested.

Yes, it looks like Borek and Mapes are correct .. as was the OP. I found this definition:

"Aqueous tension is the pressure exerted by the water vapor above the surface at any temperature where water and vapor are in equilibrium with each other. Hence it is called water vapor pressure. The value increases with the increase in temperature and it is equal to the atmospheric pressure at the boiling point of water. It is has to be deduced from observed pressure to know the actual pressure of the dry gas."

My suspicion is that it is an archaic term that was used before a full understanding of vapor pressure was realized, or at least standardized, and that it still persisted in usage even after it was obsolete (kind of like kcal :biggrin:). Anyway, http://books.google.com/books?id=cQ...6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q="aqueous tension"&f=false" shows its usage in context in a JACS paper from 1922.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is after all the same thing as vapour pressure of water. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

What is Aqeous Tension?

Aqueous tension refers to the force or tension within a liquid that is caused by the attraction between the molecules of the liquid. This tension is responsible for the surface tension of a liquid and plays a crucial role in many natural processes, such as capillary action and water transport in plants.

How is Aqueous Tension measured?

Aqueous tension is typically measured using a tensiometer, which is a device that measures the force required to separate two surfaces that are in contact with a liquid. This force is directly related to the surface tension of the liquid and can be used to calculate the aqueous tension.

What factors affect Aqueous Tension?

Aqueous tension is influenced by several factors, including temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances in the liquid. Higher temperatures and lower pH levels generally result in lower aqueous tension, while the addition of certain substances, such as surfactants, can decrease the tension as well.

What is the importance of Aqueous Tension in nature?

Aqueous tension is crucial for many natural processes. For example, it allows water to be transported through plants and enables insects to walk on water. It also plays a role in the formation of raindrops and the stability of bubbles and foam.

How does Aqueous Tension impact human activities?

Aqueous tension has various practical applications in industries such as food and beverage, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals. It also affects the performance of materials like detergents and paints. Additionally, understanding aqueous tension is essential in fields like environmental science and agriculture.