Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Arrhenius behavior?

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    I'm always reading about reactions or physical phenomena having Arrhenius behavior. But I can't figure out what that means. I obviously did a search and I learned a lot about the physical chemist Arrhenius, but nothing about what the adjective named after him means.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2
    From this I would guess that one would describe a reaction in solution occurring between ions as Arrhenius behavior.

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Perhaps you're thinking of the Arrhenius relationship?
    http://www.weibull.com/AccelTestWeb/arrhenius_relationship_chap_.htm

[tex]A e^{-\frac{E_{A}}{k_{B} T}}[/tex]

Empirical relationship saying that things happen faster when it gets hotter ([itex]k_{B}[/itex], Boltzman's constant multiplied by Temperature), and faster when there's a low activation energy / energy barrier ([itex]E_{A}[/itex]).

5. Jul 13, 2009 #4
    YES! Thanks, I can't believe I didn't know this. It seems so obvious.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  6. Jul 13, 2009 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It generally refers to the rate of reaction as Matlabdude indicated. In most discussions, it refers to the doubling of a given rate of reaction per 10oC increase in temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook