Is arXiv a Peer-Reviewed Archive of Pre-Publication Papers?

• Thread starter HarryWertM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arxiv
In summary, arXiv is an online archive of papers that is mostly used for pre-publication purposes. It is not peer reviewed, but a new submitter may need to be "endorsed" by someone who has previously posted to arXiv. While it was originally created for preprints, it is now also commonly used for published versions of papers.
HarryWertM
Can someone explain just what is arxiv?

I can see it is an archive of papers, but is it peer reviewed?

Is it all and only "pre-publication"?
[If yes, do they remove papers then when published in peer reviewed journals?]

Physics news on Phys.org
HarryWertM said:
is it peer reviewed?

No. However, a new submitter may need to be "endorsed" by someone who has previously posted to arXiv. I think this is generally true if you are not affiliated with an academic or research institution, or perhaps if you are new to arXiv in general (even if you have an academic affiliation). They put these rules in place some years ago in order to block crackpots from posting.

http://arxiv.org/help/endorsement

Is it all and only "pre-publication"?

Mostly, yes. It was originally created to replace a system in which researchers mailed photocopies of preliminary versions of their work to other institutions, to solicit comments and discussion before formal publication. Sometimes they were things that weren't intended for formal publication (lectures, conference presentations, etc.) but their authors considered them worth circulating.

When I was a graduate student thirty years ago, these preprints were put out on a rack at the back of the departmental colloquium room. Interested faculty and grad students could put their names on them, and then after a week they would be circulated in turn to the listed people. When you were finished with a preprint, you crossed off your name and gave it to the next person on the list. I still have some of my photocopies of those preprints (see attachment).

If yes, do they remove papers then when published in peer reviewed journals?]

No, in fact I think authors often/sometimes upload the published versions after publication, if the journal's policies permit it.

Attachments

• preprint.gif
    preprint.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

What is arXiv?

arXiv is a popular online repository of preprints, or unpublished research papers, in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, and other related disciplines. It allows researchers to share their work with the scientific community before publication in a traditional journal.

Who can submit to arXiv?

Anyone with a valid email address can submit a preprint to arXiv. However, submissions must be endorsed by a current arXiv author or a member of a participating institution.

What types of papers are accepted in arXiv?

arXiv primarily accepts papers in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, and quantitative biology. However, it also accepts papers in statistics, quantitative finance, and electrical engineering.

How do I access papers on arXiv?

Papers on arXiv are freely available to the public. You can access them by visiting the arXiv website and searching for specific papers or browsing through the different categories.

Is arXiv peer-reviewed?

No, arXiv is not a peer-reviewed platform. However, submissions are moderated by a team of experts to ensure that they meet basic quality standards, such as relevance to the subject area and clarity of writing.