What is atomic concentration and how can it be found for different elements?

In summary, the conversation is about atomic concentration and understanding its definition and how it is calculated. The atomic concentration is the ratio of the number of atoms of a specific element to the total number of atoms, with a unit of m^-3. The estimated values for the atomic concentration in a Fe90Zr10 alloy were calculated by dividing the mass density by the atomic weight and multiplying by Avogadro's number. This method of reporting concentration may also be used.
y4ku24
Hello everyone.

Just a quick question: Could somebody explain to me what atomic concentration is, and whether there is a list of all the atomic concentration of the elements somewhere in the internet.

The 1st time I heard the term, I typed it on wikipedia and google, surprisingly the search did not come out with a straight answer of what it is. Is there another word for it?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The atomic concentration of X is the ratio of the number of atoms of X to the total number of atoms. The atomic concentration of any pure element is 100%.

Dear Mapes,

Thank you for your feedback. However, I am reading a paper stating that a Fe90Zr10 alloy has an atomic concentration of Fe: 8.5x10^28 m^-3 and Zr: 4.29x10^28 m^-3

If it is a ratio, why is there a unit, and how did they come up with the estimated values above?

y4ku24 said:
Dear Mapes,

Thank you for your feedback. However, I am reading a paper stating that a Fe90Zr10 alloy has an atomic concentration of Fe: 8.5x10^28 m^-3 and Zr: 4.29x10^28 m^-3

If it is a ratio, why is there a unit, and how did they come up with the estimated values above?

OK, this is also a way of reporting concentration. They're dividing the mass density (kg m-3) by the atomic weight (g mol-1) and multiplying by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 1023 atoms mol-1). Does this help?

Yup, very much! thanks again.

1. What is atomic concentration?

Atomic concentration refers to the number of atoms of a particular element present in a given volume or mass of a substance. It is typically measured in moles per unit volume or mass.

2. How is atomic concentration determined?

Atomic concentration can be determined through various techniques such as spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and X-ray diffraction. These methods involve analyzing the properties of atoms in a sample to calculate their concentration.

3. Why is atomic concentration important in scientific research?

Atomic concentration is important in scientific research because it provides valuable information about the composition and properties of a substance. It is also crucial in understanding chemical reactions and developing new materials for various applications.

4. How does atomic concentration differ from atomic weight?

Atomic concentration refers to the number of atoms of a specific element in a given volume or mass, while atomic weight is the average mass of atoms of an element, taking into account the different isotopes present. In other words, atomic concentration is a measure of quantity, while atomic weight is a measure of mass.

5. Can atomic concentration change?

Yes, atomic concentration can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. It can also vary within a substance, such as in a solution, where the concentration may be higher or lower in different areas.