Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is atomic concentration?

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone.

Just a quick question: Could somebody explain to me what atomic concentration is, and whether there is a list of all the atomic concentration of the elements somewhere in the internet.

The 1st time I heard the term, I typed it on wikipedia and google, surprisingly the search did not come out with a straight answer of what it is. Is there another word for it?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The atomic concentration of X is the ratio of the number of atoms of X to the total number of atoms. The atomic concentration of any pure element is 100%.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    Dear Mapes,

Thank you for your feedback. However, I am reading a paper stating that a Fe90Zr10 alloy has an atomic concentration of Fe: 8.5x10^28 m^-3 and Zr: 4.29x10^28 m^-3

If it is a ratio, why is there a unit, and how did they come up with the estimated values above?

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, this is also a way of reporting concentration. They're dividing the mass density (kg m-3) by the atomic weight (g mol-1) and multiplying by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 1023 atoms mol-1). Does this help?

6. Jan 19, 2010 #5
    Yup, very much! thanks again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook