Solve BaCl2 * 5H2O Chemistry Problem - Help Please!

• Thread starter gigi9
  • Start date
In summary, a sample of a hydrate of BaCl2 with a mass of 61 grams was heated and found to have a mass of 52 grams after all the water was removed. This equates to 0.25 moles of BaCl2 and 0.5 moles of H2O. The formula for the hydrate is BaCl2 * 2H2O.
gigi9
Chemistry help please!

I've tried to work out the problem below, but I got weird answer, it's not even in one of the choices. Please help me solve this problem and show me out u got it. Thank you.
A sample of a hydrate of BaCl2 with a mass of 61 grams was heated until all the water was removed. The sample was then weighed and found to have a mass of 52 grams. What is the formula for the hydrate?
(A) BaCl2 * 5H2O
(B) BaCl2 * 4H2O
(C) BaCl2 * 3H2O
(D) BaCl2 * 2H2O
(E) BaCl2 * H2O

Biology news on Phys.org

Originally posted by gigi9
I've tried to work out the problem below, but I got weird answer, it's not even in one of the choices. Please help me solve this problem and show me out u got it. Thank you.
A sample of a hydrate of BaCl2 with a mass of 61 grams was heated until all the water was removed. The sample was then weighed and found to have a mass of 52 grams. What is the formula for the hydrate?
(A) BaCl2 * 5H2O
(B) BaCl2 * 4H2O
(C) BaCl2 * 3H2O
(D) BaCl2 * 2H2O
(E) BaCl2 * H2O

Starting with your equation: BaCl2 + MH2O

Then, N x grams per mole of (BaCl2 + MH2O) = 61 grams

N is the number of moles of the hydrate.

Where we must determine the coefficient M.

You know that you have removed 9 grams of water:

M x (N moles of H2O at [(2 X 1.008) + 15.99]grams/mol) = 9 grams

Solve for N,
N moles of BaCl2 at [137.34 + (2 X 35.45)] = 52 grams.

then M.

Last edited:
In a problem like this you figure out how many moles of **** you got.

You've got 52 of straight up BaCl2. That's 208 grams per mole, so 52/208 = 0.25 moles.

You've got 9 grams of water at 18 grams/mole, so you've got 0.5 moles H20.

So then if you can't figure out the rest you deserve that bad grade. (-;

1. What is the chemical formula for BaCl2 * 5H2O?

The chemical formula for BaCl2 * 5H2O is barium chloride pentahydrate. It consists of one atom of barium, two atoms of chlorine, and five molecules of water.

2. How do you calculate the molar mass for BaCl2 * 5H2O?

To calculate the molar mass for BaCl2 * 5H2O, you would first find the molar mass for each element (Ba = 137.33 g/mol, Cl = 35.45 g/mol, H = 1.01 g/mol, O = 16.00 g/mol). Then, you would multiply the molar mass of each element by the number of atoms/molecules present in the compound and add them together. This would give you a molar mass of 244.26 g/mol for BaCl2 * 5H2O.

3. What is the percent composition of BaCl2 * 5H2O?

The percent composition of BaCl2 * 5H2O is 56.3% barium, 21.2% chlorine, 22.5% hydrogen, and 0% oxygen. This can be calculated by dividing the molar mass of each element by the molar mass of the entire compound and multiplying by 100.

4. How do you find the number of moles for BaCl2 * 5H2O?

To find the number of moles for BaCl2 * 5H2O, you would divide the given mass (in grams) of the compound by its molar mass. For example, if you have 20 grams of BaCl2 * 5H2O, you would divide 20 g by 244.26 g/mol to get 0.082 moles of the compound.

5. What are the properties of BaCl2 * 5H2O?

BaCl2 * 5H2O is a white, crystalline solid at room temperature. It is soluble in water and has a melting point of 965°C. It is an ionic compound, meaning it is made up of positively and negatively charged ions. It is also hygroscopic, meaning it can absorb water from the atmosphere.